X3100

LightningJR

I'm not sure exactly where to put this post but in "notebooks" sounds about the right place. I have an Acer Aspire 5315-2848 which has a X3100 integrated GPU. I did quite a bit of research on what kind of video the X3100 accelerates. I found it accelerates MPEG2 and VC-1. I have a sample 1080p VC-1 video and it does not accelerate it. My CPU is constantly above 90% while playing the video and the video stutters. I was wondering why the X3100 isn't accelerating the video or maybe the video isn't encoded the way the x3100 has to have it. I need some help. I'm assuming any video player can be used and acceleration will work.[i'm using SMplayer] If it's the actual video then can someone tell me where I can find a video converter that can convert it to what I need to play it properly. Even a video converter to convert to MPEG2. But it has to convert to 1080P. My laptop has a Celeron 560 @2.13Ghz. This CPU can play 720P but no 1080P and even though my screen only has a res of 1280x800 I find that 1080P resolutions have a much higher bitrate and natural quality. I know mencoderis a good program to convert videos with but I couldn't find a decent frontend to use and I don't want to go the dos way. Thanks for any help. Oh, and yes I do have the latest intel driver. :P

any intel based igp is just completely the worst graphics ever

the only gpus that could accelerate MPEG2 efficiently is a dedicated card like the 8600gt or 3450 HD

Ok, well thanks for all the help. It should accelerate it well enough for me to watch without any slowdowns and all that. Anyone else?

Ok, well thanks for all the help. It should accelerate it well enough for me to watch without any slowdowns and all that. Anyone else?

im not very good with the video world but i can advise you to try "VLCplayer" (video lan client) as i have found it to play just about any video...even broken/weird file formats. its free and small. try to use that and see if it doesnt get any better. if not then thats as far as my knoledge goes.

you are right though, it shouldnt have any problem playing videos like that.

im not very good with the video world but i can advise you to try "VLCplayer" (video lan client) as i have found it to play just about any video...even broken/weird file formats. its free and small. try to use that and see if it doesnt get any better. if not then thats as far as my knoledge goes.

you are right though, it shouldnt have any problem playing videos like that.

I have used VLCplayer and it is actually not the best. I am now using SMplayer and it's much better. it plays videos much more efficiently. I couldn't play 720p x264 videos with VLC and with SMplayer it's not a problem at all. (SMplayer is basically Mplayer with a different GUI)

But 1080p videos are still too much for the CPU. I have been looking for a program that converts x264 to mpeg2 since vc-1 wont accelerate. I have found lots of info but it's a very complicated process and there's not all-in-one program. But I am still researching and am hoping that I will find out how.

Excellent, I have found a way to convert x264(MKV) to mpeg2/HD. It's a decent ffmpeg frontend. There's not a lot of options to change the video but it works. :) There are other options using avisynth integrated into the program that I haven't looked into yet but if anyone needs the program to convert MKV to MPEG2/HD then get Avanti. Is's all in one just add video, select output folder, configure your video options and convert; then wait for it to complete. Idk if it supports subs, it's something someone else is gonna have to look into.

Edited by LightningJR

I've played x264 on an X3100 based laptop just fine. Sure, it used a bit of processor, but it didn't stutter at all. I was playing 720p, so it might chug on 1080p ... but it shouldn't be *that* bad. It helps to not use an external hard disk.

My Dell laptop uses an HD3650 and doesn't suffer one jot :)

more than likely it's the celeron CPU...

D'oh, didn't spot it was a celery. The machine I've used is a basic dual core (non-core 2), which might explain why it's pig slow! My own machine is a 2.0 C"D though - no sweat :)