It's Time For Me To Go Extreme Cooling

The Smith

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing about dice/ln2 or extreme cooling apart from its cold :P But you'll need to seal it or you will have dice all over your board

Actually I would have acetone all over the board, as it is the liquid I'll use. Dry ice sublimates and n<does not leave any liquid that coud pass trough the spacing.

So yeah I know the best would be to weld it but I'm not sure if I will be able. I'll maybe tomorrow and we'll see.

Nice job so far.

This may help

http://www.artsautomotive.com/HowToWeldAluminum.htm

I'd definitely say TIG it if you can...however, MIG is possible, you just have to get appropriate wire. Practice on scrap before you do :)

TIG gives you more control on the where the current is being applied / how much is applied. When I worked in a sheet metal shop, they almost exclusively used TIG for both steel and aluminum parts. MIG ended up being used for the thicker steel parts.

I just found this if you want to use your oxy-acetylene torch:

welding :)

Though I can't say my weld is neat and beautiful... If you look at the lapping pic, you can see it a bit.

Later I'll probably ask someone to resolder it well.

Edited by The Smith

I've used a oxy-acethylene torch to make heatpipes(with copper and silver solder). Dont think you'd really have a problem with the aluminum?

Lead solder is the easiest way to plug the hole. Heat the whole pot, and just solder it in. When heating the whole pot, it will

expand and whatever you got going into the hole will be compressed a bit as it cools down, so i think you'd have a pretty good seal.

I've used lead solder on copper as well, but i had a bit more tricky holes to fill :) That and the high pressure of a closed heated pipe

makes it a bit hard to fully enclose a pipe :P But this is not your problem :P (also figured out some other techniques after doing that)

Good luck, hope to see some results soon :) hehehe wish i had a scrap yard that has that kind of stuff :P