Need Motivation

Gr4vitas

The first two years in college are simply there to weed out the quitters. Just keep at it and don't despair.

I'm graduating this fall in CompE, moving into my Master's degree in the spring. The first two years were totally annoying and far harder than the last two.

Stick with it and you won't be disappointed. :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep on going, Just make sure that you take time to relax. Go catch a movie, go on a walk, drive around town, do something, so that you don't get stay in your room for all 4 years doing homework. Just make sure that you don't go out every night, With the workload your talking about, you probably would fail if you did that. But you got to take time to relax. Just stick it out, having a degree is nice.

The first two years in college are simply there to weed out the quitters. Just keep at it and don't despair.

I'm graduating this fall in CompE, moving into my Master's degree in the spring. The first two years were totally annoying and far harder than the last two.

Stick with it and you won't be disappointed. :)

Hmm...that's the opposite of me. After my freshman year, I opened my eyes and realized that it wasn't difficult. I then proceeded to cram as many classes in sophomore and junior years, on top of TAing (Teaching Assistant-ing). I think most semesters were 18 hours and some 20. Come senior year, when classes are more difficult (not always...but in my case, yes), you'll only need a couple classes. I took 16 credits my first semester senior year and then 12 my final semester. Now that was some well needed relaxation :)

I did the same thing in graduate school (worked myself into the ground last semester...was worth it). This semester I finish my last core course, and next semester I have an elective / independent study and work on / finish my thesis.

If you think you're spending too much time on school work and not getting anywhere, study / do homework with other people in the class. I'm not saying copy, just exchange ideas. Sometimes brainpower > 1 helps. TA's are usually knowledgeable, hit them up for office hours.

You'll do fine! No slacking! ;)

:thumbs-up:

Hmm...that's the opposite of me. After my freshman year, I opened my eyes and realized that it wasn't difficult. I then proceeded to cram as many classes in sophomore and junior years, on top of TAing (Teaching Assistant-ing). I think most semesters were 18 hours and some 20. Come senior year, when classes are more difficult (not always...but in my case, yes), you'll only need a couple classes. I took 16 credits my first semester senior year and then 12 my final semester. Now that was some well needed relaxation :)

I did the same thing in graduate school (worked myself into the ground last semester...was worth it). This semester I finish my last core course, and next semester I have an elective / independent study and work on / finish my thesis.

If you think you're spending too much time on school work and not getting anywhere, study / do homework with other people in the class. I'm not saying copy, just exchange ideas. Sometimes brainpower > 1 helps. TA's are usually knowledgeable, hit them up for office hours.

You'll do fine! No slacking! ;)

:thumbs-up:

Lol thanks for the advice. Last night I hammered out all the work I could, I've basically got everything done I can have done at the moment. I'm feeling a little better today about my situation and stuff so thanks to everyone that posted. It really helped. Right now I'm posting from my college library on my laptop soon as I finish this post I'm finishing up a paper I would have had for homework tonight and then I'm scotch free tonight for the first time since I started school. I think I'm going to play some games!

if your not meant for college, just remember you better be outstanding at whatever you do to compensate for that. i've missed out on many jobs before i could get any certification, then it went ot my bakground :\ sigh. live your life how you want it, if you want to push a broom then push a broom.

Sometimes when I'm studying late at night and my eyes are getting heavy... or I'm just bored... I'll try to remind myself how much of a privilege it is to be in the US, to be in college and that before I know it, it's gonna be over. If you want a job in the Comp. Engineering field, than don't shy away now.. you're not going to remember how it felt to stay up late studying when you're driving home in a nice car, to a nice house, from your nice job. Also, make sure you're connecting with your professors and you're studying effectively. I'm actually taking a semester off to travel, work and just catch my breath. I just spent 2 months in Israel, and I just got an internship with Burton. Good luck!

Odd. I think the difficulty in Freshman/Sophomore years lies more with the fact that I didn't care at all about most of the core engineering and general education classes. Junior and Senior classes were more specific and they were much more interesting...which is probably most of what made me think they were easier.

Also, make sure you're connecting with your professors and you're studying effectively.

This is great advice. Teachers that like you will be far more approachable about writing recommendations for internships/coops/grad school. That, and they'll be more likely to help you if you end up struggling to grasp something.

Odd. I think the difficulty in Freshman/Sophomore years lies more with the fact that I didn't care at all about most of the core engineering and general education classes. Junior and Senior classes were more specific and they were much more interesting...which is probably most of what made me think they were easier.

Gen ed? Heh. I did German and some pysch / science, technology and society classes. Liked 'em all. There were some professional development courses that I didn't care for, but, you can't win them all.

Maybe you don't use the information taught in core engineering classes as much as some, but most are basic things all engineers should know... A lot of them are the basis for everything Mechanical or Electrical Engineers do. Yeah, sure, I didn't enjoy my circuits course...but, it's a necessary evil. College is a proving ground for engineers. Even if you happen to forget what you've learned in the past, you still have proof that you are capable of learning it again...or to a greater degree.

If you keep yourself busy, and don't overload yourself...college is a breeze. I was Greek, was a Teaching Assistant for 3 courses (two, numerous times), was a Research Assistant and still had plenty of time to hang out, tinker with my computer and play video games. Life was sooo tough. ;)

Maybe you don't use the information taught in core engineering classes as much as some, but most are basic things all engineers should know... A lot of them are the basis for everything Mechanical or Electrical Engineers do. Yeah, sure, I didn't enjoy my circuits course...but, it's a necessary evil. College is a proving ground for engineers. Even if you happen to forget what you've learned in the past, you still have proof that you are capable of learning it again...or to a greater degree.

"Core engineering" classes included chemistry, physics, and some basic "fail out 40% of the students because they won't do homework" general engineering classes. Most of them were designed to be hard simply to weed out the people who didn't want to put any effort into college.

The circuits classes as well as the digital logic and electronics classes were all definitely useful though.

"Core engineering" classes included chemistry, physics, and some basic "fail out 40% of the students because they won't do homework" general engineering classes. Most of them were designed to be hard simply to weed out the people who didn't want to put any effort into college.

The circuits classes as well as the digital logic and electronics classes were all definitely useful though.

You...CompE

Me...ME

To each, his own... :thumbs-up:

I have the same problem...

Im extremely lazy and I usally take 2 hours to do all my homework when it should only take 1 hour..

It's always worth it to do the homework though.

You...CompE

Me...ME

To each, his own... :thumbs-up:

There's the big difference. :lol: