Compare Netbooks

bg8780

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, but the 1000H comes with a recovery disc too... I haven't looked at the content yet, but I think it serves two purposes:

* a bootdisc, ghost restoring image tool - for a complete system restore

* all the driver installers allowing separate installation, or a one-click install all deal

this is what I gather from reading the manual...

so my plan is to collect all the drivers together and sift out the older versions, making sure that if a new version of a driver isn't on the asus site, I get the one off the supplied disc

I have quite a lot of computer and furniture rebuilding to do first though! :lol:

nLite sounds fun. It'd be even better if I knew how to slipstream Firefox/Thunderbird etc too. I have never bothered with all this lark in the past! :lol:

The Wind does have two buttons :huh:

But the rest of it's convincing ;)

yeah but isn't it one physical button though?

Arghhh.. still waiting for Dell to get their 9 incher out and Lenovo to get their 10 inch IdeaPad in Canada (which looks like it won't happen anytime soon... bleh)

Edited by Zertz

well apparently it's very difficult or impossible to slipstream the drivers in when installing from USB, something to do with ACPI being needed first or w/e...

so the nLite action was just to remove unneeded OS features, and customise and tweak the OS the way I would normally laboriously do through Control Panel and Regedit

I downloaded all the drivers from Asus' download site... NOD32 is available there too (there's no free version on the website)... as soon as Windows was at the desktop, I put the drivers on the same 2GB flash drive I had used to install XP onto the Eee, then put the flash drive back in the Eee and installed all the drivers :) easy enough

I think my stock BIOS was 0802, this meant that the CPU was recognised as a uniprocessor, so no HT... updating to 0901 (the newest version) meant when Windows loaded up again, it was recognised as "Intel Processor" and then HT worked properly, 2 threads in Task Manager...

0901 also disables some stuff like the webcam in the BIOS, so you have to enable it, else it won't appear in Windows at all...

Games:

Unreal Tournament - plays and looks GREAT all on High at 1024x600! I was so surprised! I played CTF against bots on CTF-Face and managed to capture a flag using the trackpad and WASD lol

Halo - even on the lowest settings, it was still low framerate... a lazy port I guess

Half Life 2 - looks like it might *just* be playable on the lowest settings at 1024x600... might have to reduce to a lower rez and attempt a Horizontal/Vertical stretch to correct from 4:3 to 16:10