Macro In Excel

The Smith

Hi everyone,

I'm building a very simple agenda in Excel.

At the top, I wrote the date and Excel wrote the following ones for me, by dragging it.

But then I would like that when I open up the .xlsx doc, today's cell is already selected.

So I know this is done using a macro. I'm skilled(a bit) in VB.net, but I never done VBA programming so I just don't know how to start...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It relies on your system clock, so be cautious about that one - it can screw up sometimes.

I remember doing this somewhere, but there is a function in Excel that will report today's date and time somewhere, so might be easier to have a hidden cell that auto-updates on opening the spreadsheet and perform some sort of lookup/concatenate on the various bits of data.

It relies on your system clock, so be cautious about that one - it can screw up sometimes.

I remember doing this somewhere, but there is a function in Excel that will report today's date and time somewhere, so might be easier to have a hidden cell that auto-updates on opening the spreadsheet and perform some sort of lookup/concatenate on the various bits of data.

I know that one! :)

=TODAY()

or

=NOW()

today() = Todays date

now() = date & time

Yup I knew that already. What I didn't was the concatenate part. I'll dig up the online help about that word.

Thanks!

Edited by The Smith

Concatenate basically does this:

Imagine you have three cells. One says "Boobs" the second says "are" the third says "awesome", concatenate(cell1+cell2+cell3) ... and you get "Boobsareawesome" It shunts words together, but you can play around and separate words with spaces and so forth. Excel can do everything. It once did my laundry.