I Think I'm Ready....

IVIYTH0S

I have decided since my current CPU cooler sucks so much that it's finally time to upgrade to the famous Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, now the question that is probably been beatin to a pulp.

Which are the best fans to couple to it? (I say fans because I intend to run a push/pull configuration) I heard the Scythes are pretty formidable but I remember hearing of one that had less CFM but handled itself better up against a heatsink (sorry about the lame description but it's name escapes me)

So really what I'm asking is what's the best 120mm fan(s) on the market and also where can I find a TRUE for sale for the best price?

THANKS!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have decided since my current CPU cooler sucks so much that it's finally time to upgrade to the famous Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, now the question that is probably been beatin to a pulp.

Which are the best fans to couple to it? (I say fans because I intend to run a push/pull configuration) I heard the Scythes are pretty formidable but I remember hearing of one that had less CFM but handled itself better up against a heatsink (sorry about the lame description but it's name escapes me)

So really what I'm asking is what's the best 120mm fan(s) on the market and also where can I find a TRUE for sale for the best price?

THANKS!

try the noctua fans, good performance and they are quiet also, :)

Noise doesn't matter to me, performance comes first but I'll check out some comparisons.

Does anyone know where I can get the TRUE for a good deal since Newegg is currently out of stock and Tigerdirect doesn't sell them?

as for those 155mph fans I think I saw that article before that'll definitely do the the trick if i feel like parting with a couple G's haha

Dang, I had another site on the tip of my tongue for you, but I can't remember. I believe www.sidewindercomputers.com has them. That wasn't the site I was thinking of, but oh well. Anyways, some good brands include Noctua, Delta (have to attach your own power connectors, some websites do it for a fee), Panaflo, and Scythe. The important thing for a fan against a heatsink is the static pressure. CFM doesn't mean anything on a fan with a low static pressure. Most sites don't list static pressure, many fan companies don't even test that. Therefore, you will have to wait for some other members here to tell you which fans have higher static pressures as I'm not sure.

Dang, I had another site on the tip of my tongue for you, but I can't remember. I believe www.sidewindercomputers.com has them. That wasn't the site I was thinking of, but oh well. Anyways, some good brands include Noctua, Delta (have to attach your own power connectors, some websites do it for a fee), Panaflo, and Scythe. The important thing for a fan against a heatsink is the static pressure. CFM doesn't mean anything on a fan with a low static pressure. Most sites don't list static pressure, many fan companies don't even test that. Therefore, you will have to wait for some other members here to tell you which fans have higher static pressures as I'm not sure.

yeah THAT's what it's called, static pressure. I forget who was talking about that before but I know not to get sold on the high CFM trap for heatsink fans. I'll keep my eyes open, I wish they would list that but I guess they are assuming most of the time they are just case fans

yeah THAT's what it's called, static pressure. I forget who was talking about that before but I know not to get sold on the high CFM trap for heatsink fans. I'll keep my eyes open, I wish they would list that but I guess they are assuming most of the time they are just case fans

Bought mine at Heatsink factory.com last month for 53.00 dollars.

This is the one AnandTech used.

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F

I used it also. I'm not sure push pull is all that much more effective, but worth a try. I've never read impressive results with push pull but there is a slight advantage.

With push pull don't bother buying extra clips. Use cable ties through the fins. There is a neat way of doing it by someone here but I can't find it right now.

Edited by Syngensmyth

The Scythe S-Flex that Syngen posted is what I have in my Tuniq, and I replaced all the case fans with these as well. They are good fans, and i'm happy with them so far.

But as said, there are other options out there and there is more to consider than just CFM's.

Edited by s0rd3z