New Psu From The Us To Aust

Hey guys

I just bought a new psu 550w from the stats, used but still working

I plugged everything up and, put the power in and flicked the psu switch on, I then heard a pretty loud "crack" and when I hit the power button, it doesn't turn on

I am wondering if the psu is faulty/dead or if it is a problem with australia's and americas power ratings being different (us is 220 and aust is 240)

Hey guys

I just bought a new psu 550w from the stats, used but still working

I plugged everything up and, put the power in and flicked the psu switch on, I then heard a pretty loud "crack" and when I hit the power button, it doesn't turn on

I am wondering if the psu is faulty/dead or if it is a problem with australia's and americas power ratings being different (us is 220 and aust is 240)

The USA is on 120VAC 60Hz but that should make no difference. Unless it is specifically made for the USA, which I doubt, the power supply will probably be rated for approximately 90 - 250VAC (45 - 65Hz). Which power supply is it and what does it say on the specification label for AC input voltage?

Loud cracking noises are never a good sign, sounds like a dead power supply to me.

Regards

Pau

Edited by paulktreg

I wouldn't know about the power rating sorry. But if you heard a loud crack im sure something is not right with the PSU itself, do you have another computer you could try it on?

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/ultraPSU/index.htm is the power supply

atm i dont have another computer to try it on, is there a safe way to test it without a mobo?

It has a switch at th back for different voltages, one says 110, the other 230, i have tried it both ways and it makes no difference

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/ultraPSU/index.htm is the power supply

atm i dont have another computer to try it on, is there a safe way to test it without a mobo?

It has a switch at th back for different voltages, one says 110, the other 230, i have tried it both ways and it makes no difference

Most good quality power supplies are universal AC input these days and I'm very surprised to see one that still as a 110/230 switch. Did you connect 240VAC with the switch set at 110VAC? You have almost certainly killed it if you did and may have damaged other components.

With the power supply disconnected from the PC and the switch on 240V try shorting the green wire on the motherboard connector to any black wire. This should turn the power supply on. If it does fire up and the fan starts running do you have a digital multimeter to check the voltages?

Edit: Quite old this power supply and it got some poor reviews. I would consider replacing it with a better quality power supply.

Take a look at the recommended power supply list.

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Most good quality power supplies are universal AC input these days and I'm very surprised to see one that still as a 110/230 switch. Did you connect 240VAC with the switch set at 110VAC? You have almost certainly killed it if you did and may have damaged other components.

With the power supply disconnected from the PC and the switch on 240V try shorting the green wire on the motherboard connector to any black wire. This should turn the power supply on. If it does fire up and the fan starts running do you have a digital multimeter to check the voltages?

Edit: Quite old this power supply and it got some poor reviews. I would consider replacing it with a better quality power supply.

Take a look at the recommended power supply list.

Regards

Paul

i had it switched on the 230 switch and i have since reconnected my old power supply and everything is running fine, so i think it must be the PSU itself

i had it switched on the 230 switch and i have since reconnected my old power supply and everything is running fine, so i think it must be the PSU itself

I will recommend that you either switch to a recommended power supply at your earliest convenience...while watching that power supply like a hawk. Pops are not good sounds. I would put them in the same category as snaps, zaps, grinding sounds. Any time I've heard those kinds of sounds, it's been on a questionable power supply, that has died, quickly.

We *had* a X-connect in my girlfriend's computer (DFI sli-d, 3800+, etc) and it "stopped working". She waited until I got home...and we got it turned on (I had to force it on). 5 seconds later I had both hit the switch and pulled the plug. It smelled horrible. We didn't turn the computer on until we had a OCZ GXS600W.