Xp 64bit Or Vista 64bit?

MountainDew302ci

:huh: You've obviously never tried to use XP x64. Vista x64 is better in literally every way possible.

And you obviously don't use both everyday, because for the last 2 years XP x64 hasn't been the headache that it was at release. Both have their flaws, but when it comes to the work/play combo of my main rig Vista isn't an option as there is NO way to get the versions of certain apps I must use to work on Vista at all, there are however workarounds for XP x64 (thanks to people using Server 2003 as more than a server OS)

With all that said and my preference to stick with XP, it's finally time that I can say for almost all of the people who would ask this question in the first place you SHOULD choose Vista x64. Let's face it, most people here aren't going to run into the problems I have and unless you have a copy of XP x64 in hand it's not a great choice atm.

Just so you know how unbiased I am in this situation, here's a list of the OSes around me JUST on the PCs in this room that are on atm:

XP x64 SP2 (Main Rig)

XP Pro SP3 (Edit Rig)

Ubuntu 8.04 x64 (LAN Rig)

Vista Home Premium (Acer laptop)

Vista Home Premium x64 (Gateway Laptop)

Windows Server 2003 EE (Server)

Rare that I have all of those in here and on at the same time, no wonder it's getting toasty. Oh and the only PC above that's an issue to get drivers for is the Gateway, and that's because of the 8800M GTS needing hacked drivers and Vista x64 requirements relating to signed drivers.

I just did a clean install of vista 64 bit on my system. seems to run much faster on my somewhat older hardware. it was crashing a ton at first, which caused me to find a bad mem stick that didn't crash in 32 bit. I only have 2gigs installed now and it does eat that up quite fast. the only problem I have is no driver for my dtv-350 tv card. I will just move it to another pc for now.

Had no issues with either Xp x64 or Vista x64. I dual boot both along with Gentoo Linux x64. All work flawlessly with my hardware. Though I did recently install Xp x64 for someone elese and now their scanner won't work because there exist no 64-bit drivers for it. So do pay attention to your devices for 64-bit because in some cases if the hardware is a little older the manufacturer hasn't produced any drivers. Sadly I can no longer use my Linksys WUSB54GS because Linksys/Cisco chooses to produce no x64 support. I think some users did write drivers for it tho so maybe I could give those a try. So be wary mostly all programs work under WoW64 but you can have driver problems.

I think having a 64-bit Os is something that will be necessary in the next few year especially if games start addressing more memory at that point 32-bit will be seen as a bottleneck.

I think having a 64-bit Os is something that will be necessary in the next few year especially if games start addressing more memory at that point 32-bit will be seen as a bottleneck.

Most definitely. There are quite a few games out that will happily use more than the 2 GB allowed in 32 bit XP/Vista for a user process.

Guest KrankyOldLady
People that say Xp is better then Vista or Vista sucks and isn't stable yada yada....are ignorant, afraid of change, or either havn't tried it.

Don't do that.....

I have tried them all and i went xp 64

I just couldnt get the ati controll panel to not chrash my wow in vista, whatever flavo you pick, working on unbutu and learning alot there but for now i get the stability from xp and more and the rest works fine for me.

I dual Boot between 32 bit XP and 64 Bit server 2008, and I haven't really been able to use what is basically vista, since I don't have a video card to game yet... But so far I haven't had any problems with it..

I too have played with all versions of Vista...

I have them all as well as all versions of XP....I am still using XP if that tells you anything...

With Vista is all depends on how well your hardware plays with it....

I had no issues loading Vista but gaming was another story...I spent 8 hours the other day trying to get Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 to update to the latest patches....game loaded fine but the patches wouldnt take...still came up wit the original version...another thing was it wouldnt play nice with Hamachi so I could play on a private LAN with my friends...

Alot of the things work fine in Vista but after 2 years of work it still has sound issues with any harware in certain apps...that is something I will NOT deal with in any OS....all drivers and programs must load without a hitch and be fully stable in everyday environment....this is something Vista is still lacking at...

I also have use XP64 for over a year and I have had good luck with it...dont get me wrong it still has its glitches but nothing like Vista....

In Vista atleast networking got faster with the addition of SP1...but it doesnt last long...add Hamachi and set it according to the directions that Vista want and networking goes south pretty quick and lags like no tomorrow...too much issue to deal with....

I would try it but I would also get XP and keep it by for when you decide to switch back...;)

I am presently triple booting, WinXPPRO32/64bit and Vista 64bit. I decided the only way to really compare................

WinXPPro64bit is the loser here, sorry to say, not because I don't like it (I like it the best), but there are some specific items that I can not use in the XP64bit arena, and the vendor has flat out told me they only support xp32bit and vista32/64bit, XP64bit will not be getting any drivers (FU Micro$shaft for being so supportive, not)....so, not by choice, I am deleting the XPPro64bit install and going with XPPro32bit and Vista Ultimate 64bit....now, if someone writes divers after the fact to work, my decision will change...there are a few dead ends tha XP64bit will never solve unless third party driver support from the community surfaces...

With the Vista SP1 update assimilated and having no problems I am moving on...................bummer, I like the XP64bit, maybe because it was so similiar to the 32 bit, with Vista you have to tear into the layers, but, like with everything, the community is figuring that out too.....once you get around to deploying the TRUE administrator in Vista (buried by MS), life gets a whole lot easier with with what seems like numerous deadend installs :angry2:

It is what it is, unless third party support from users get rolling, XP64bit progress is kinda in limbo, works great, but there are holes left over from poor manu support that will never be filled...

Better get used to it, it is what it is...

Laterzzzz.............