Xp 64bit Or Vista 64bit?

MountainDew302ci

Whats up guys, got a question and need assistance. I've got a new build going and i want the better of the 2 operating systems for it and it need to be the 64bit version. Here's my build so far:

Intel E8500

Asus Maximus Extreme mobo

gig sticks of corsair ddr3 1800

1x wd 500gig & 1x 150gig raptor

Creative sound blaster X-Fi titanium pro

I haven't decided on a graphics setup yet I'll probably wait till the 4870 x2 comes out in August. Anyway i want the OS to be stable and from what I've heard Vista as usual..lol..... still isn't fixed to the point were it is stable like XP is. I mean Xp isn't perfect as you may know but from iv read and past experience with it. It's hell of alot more stable than Vista, now Vista is more current and will be supported unlike Xp and Vista supports Dx10 and 10.1. However looks likes theres a patch for Xp to give Dx10. I also have 1 last question is Arma Combat Operation Vista support yet or no cause i really want to play it. Thanks for any help given. :rolleyes:

Edited by MountainDew302ci

People that say Xp is better then Vista or Vista sucks and isn't stable yada yada....are ignorant, afraid of change, or either havn't tried it.

Go for Vista it's just as good as XP if not better (oh yeah...i said it B:) )

EDIT: Yes Armed Assult can be played on Vista

And make sure you buy Vista 64bit

Edited by damian

I haven't run into any compatability issues with Vista 64-bit yet, but any that exist will go away sooner rather than later. For the first time ever, a majority of the desktops we stock in our store have 64-bit Vista on them.

When I built my new PC last November, I initially was going with XP x64 and Vista Home Premium x64 in a dual boot configuration. After trying to find drivers that would actually work with the XP x64, I quickly changed my mind and went back to XP Home/Vista HP 64.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/window...64_preview2.asp

I'll still continue to use XP as my main OS, but I still have the Vista partition to tinker with until I'm more comfortable with it and they (Micro$oft) works out more of the bugs, but it looks like more aftermarket manufacturers as well as software developers are making more and more stuff for Vista, and NOT the XP 64 bit. I'd future-proof it and go the Vista way. Also, Vista Basic isn't very good, and Vista Ultra has alot of unnecessary widgits. Vista Home Premium x64 seems to be the best way to go:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...ns/default.aspx

Edited by Rokkaholik

I have Vista Home Premium 64bit and I find it to be a great operating system. There are some crashes but nothing major, maybe it's the program crashing itself not vista I don't know.

I enjoy the new things they added like the gadget bar, everything is smoother looking and is more streamlined than XP.

When something does crash Vista seperates it nicely to not cause the whole system to crash (I remember XP where a program would crash, everything would lock and it would reload with all my other running processes closed)

hands down anything that is not Vista. i call vista the new windows ME and we all know how crappy that was. ever since Win 64x SP2 has been out, i have yet to come across a problem that isnt in 32x version. i CANNOT recommend Windows 64x enough. you start out with less processes running on startup which leads to more memory available. even if xp 64 is only really an "addon" of XP and vista is build ground up, i still feel xp is faster just because of all the crap is shoved into vista. either get win 64x or sever 2008(if you must go with dx10 and vista look alike)

and yes i have tried every os since Win95.

hands down anything that is not Vista. i call vista the new windows ME and we all know how crappy that was. ever since Win 64x SP2 has been out, i have yet to come across a problem that isnt in 32x version. i CANNOT recommend Windows 64x enough. you start out with less processes running on startup which leads to more memory available. even if xp 64 is only really an "addon" of XP and vista is build ground up, i still feel xp is faster just because of all the crap is shoved into vista. either get win 64x or sever 2008(if you must go with dx10 and vista look alike)

and yes i have tried every os since Win95.

:huh: You've obviously never tried to use XP x64. Vista x64 is better in literally every way possible.

hands down anything that is not Vista.

i stopped reading after that.

EDIT: Ok i read it. You might have tried vista when it was first released or you didnt look hard enough for drivers. and windows server 2008, im not sure on this, but wasn't it the exact same OS as vista except with add ons such as sectuity tools and such.

But i can say from my own experience i see no performance difference in games or applications from vista and XP.

Edited by damian

I'm using Xp 64x right now its my main os since 06. I gotta say the beta was a pain but its amazing now.

this shouldn't be a contest, put up a poll or something. if you're not using 64x for graphical work or video editing/rendering it doesn't matter what os you use than.