Watercooling Idea

Hey I had an idea:

I would like to go watercooling for the Forum wars summer 2008, but without buying the entire water loop, because after the competition I would probably go back to air cooling. I figured out a way of doing that and it would be even more performant:

I could buy only the water blocks, LGA775 and maybe also for the 8800GT. Then I could plug the hoses directly onto the tap. So the water would cross my water blocks and then go back into the sink. No need for a radiator, a reservoir, and neither a pump !

Now I'm pretty sure it would be more performant because the water in July is about 16-17 degrees Celcius, which is colder than what a radiator can achieve I think.

Now the problem would be that I won't have a mixed cooling liquid as it should. Does it matter ?

So what do you think of my idea ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno a whole lot about watercooling but you might have a bit of a condensation problem a water often condenses on a cold tap if you leave it running for a while. Also you'd need to be very careful none of the pipes came off by accident and nothing got splashed. I rekon it is a good idea in theory but might be a little difficult to implement.....

I don't see this as a very effective method of cooling. Any minor spills or leaks could result in major problems and the possibility of ruining whatever component the tap water spills on. Also I would be concerned with the lack of flow. It's highly unlikely that the water pressure from whatever sink you use is high enough to force a substantial flow resulting in effective cooling. Its not all about how cold the liquid is, its about how much liquid is being passed through the waterblocks as well (ie How much surface area is being cooled).

Really, if this was a reasonable and effective way to cool PC components I think someone would have already done it.

Also I would be concerned with the lack of flow.

I don't know at your home, but here we have a very good water pressure in the pipes. I would use the big tap in the basement, not small one in the second floor washroom.

As for leaks I know I will have to carefully watch that.

I don't see this as a very effective method of cooling. Any minor spills or leaks could result in major problems and the possibility of ruining whatever component the tap water spills on. Also I would be concerned with the lack of flow. It's highly unlikely that the water pressure from whatever sink you use is high enough to force a substantial flow resulting in effective cooling. Its not all about how cold the liquid is, its about how much liquid is being passed through the waterblocks as well (ie How much surface area is being cooled).

Really, if this was a reasonable and effective way to cool PC components I think someone would have already done it.

Aren't those the same worries with any water cooling? Even with additives, would you want a leaky loop?

Water cooling loops aren't exactly high pressure...

Even the 50 PSI that the Laing D5 puts out is still within the realm of typical tap water pressure (that's 3.4 atm or bar). Typical municipal water pressures are in the ballpark of 60 psi. However, it all depends on you location / elevation.

Those who have used water cooling know that you can't drop your temperatures below ambient...but in this case, the water is already below ambient, and therefore, capable of achieving lower temperatures.

If you can get decent flow with the extra tubing, I'd say, go for it. It does sound like a little bit of a waste of water...but, I'm sure you can be creative.

If you can get decent flow with the extra tubing, I'd say, go for it. It does sound like a little bit of a waste of water...but, I'm sure you can be creative.

I would install the PC right beside the sink. And I know this would be a waste of water but I don't know yet if I will recuperate the it. Anyways it's just for the competition, and then after I'll go back to air cooling. And here in Quebec we have a great source of water: The St. Lawrence river. We don't have to manage water consumption. :D

Edited by The Smith

Aren't those the same worries with any water cooling? Even with additives, would you want a leaky loop?

Water cooling loops aren't exactly high pressure...

Even the 50 PSI that the Laing D5 puts out is still within the realm of typical tap water pressure (that's 3.4 atm or bar). Typical municipal water pressures are in the ballpark of 60 psi. However, it all depends on you location / elevation.

Those who have used water cooling know that you can't drop your temperatures below ambient...but in this case, the water is already below ambient, and therefore, capable of achieving lower temperatures.

I guess I live in any area that seems to be lacking in water pressure. Although I have not actually measured it, I would assume based on my experience that it is in fact less than the typical municipal waterpressure.

In regards to additives I have tested both Fluid XP and MCT-5 and leaks or spills on components have resulted in no issues. I literally poured a small amount on an older 6600GT while powered on and MCT-5 became a crusty sugar like substance and Fluid XP didn't appear to leave any visible residue behind. I don't think this would be the case with tap water.

Really though, I can't say what it will or won't do because I have never tried it. So I guess go for it.

Comp_dude2 has a good point about condensation. Take a look at the weather report and the dew point temperature they give you will give you a ballpark guess for whether or not it'll be an issue. You can measure the water temperature with a thermometer to figure out if the water is going to be cold enough for condensation.

Sounds like an interesting project. If you err on the side of caution, you should be fine. :)

And here in Quebec we have a great source of water: The St. Lawrence river. We don't have to manage water consumption. :D

So that's where all my water from Lake St. Clair is going you little burglars. Stop stealing all my water. Just because you river never runs dry doesn't mean it has an endless supply. The water from my lake supplies your river, now stop using all of my water, lol. I'm just kidding, I really don't care, but I do wonder where it all ends up.

As for the condensation, it should not be an issue as it will be pure water. Condensation is essentially distilled water. It only differs in the method by which it is made. Distilled water is made by evaporation water and condensing it somewhere else. Condensation is just evaporated by air and condenses on stuff. So it'll be distilled water which is actually non-conductive. This means it won't short circuit anything. Many people think water is conductive, but it is actually only the particles dissolved in the water that makes it conductive. Theoretically any condensation will not harm your components. However, the tap water can cause issues as it has dissolved particles in it. This makes it conductive and can fry your parts if it leaks. Make sure all hoses are extremely secure on their barbs. Test the system in the sink first, then attach it after you verify there are no leaks. Good luck with your plan, it should work. It all sounds good, water pressure should be high enough, condensation should be a non-issue, no leaks and you should be good.

Whoever was talking about wasting water, just have it go into buckets and use it to water the flowers or something, or wash the dog, or torture the cat, whatever, lol.

If you really want to cool you water, use a resevoir with ice in it. I'm anxious to hear the results of this project.

EDIT: I've actually mulled over the idea of running my computer submerged in a bath of distilled water. It would be viable in a completely clean environment. I thought about thoroughly cleaning some ice cube trays and freezing distilled water ice cubes. Then thoroughly clean a bin to put it in and fill it with distilled water. The only drawback is from lubricants and other materials in the components dissolving and causing the water to become conductive. If it wasn't for materials in the components dissolving, I might seriously consider that. I'd have to add something to circulate the water too. It's the best cooling method unless you move to dry ice or liquid nitrogen.

EDIT2: I take no responsibility or accountability for any damage done to any component due to condensation or water damage.

I have to disagree with DLS2008 on his point about the conductivity of condensed water. First of all, the water that condenses on your tubing will not be pure water. The water that condenses is the water in the air that has mixed with dust particles, bacteria and even dirt on the outside of the tubes themselves. This obviously results in additives being present which increase the conductivity of the water. If allowed to drip, it WILL damage your system. If you do go ahead with that plan it wouldn't be a bad idea to hit your components with a spray-on sealant like those used for phase change cooling setups.

Other than that, I don't really see any major problems with your idea except for the practicality of it, of course. You're going to have an entire setup down by a sink but you're prepared to do that so it shouldn't be a problem. Just be prepared for anything.

Comp_dude2 has a good point about condensation. Take a look at the weather report and the dew point temperature they give you will give you a ballpark guess for whether or not it'll be an issue. You can measure the water temperature with a thermometer to figure out if the water is going to be cold enough for condensation.

Yeah I measured the water temperature, it is about 16 to 17 degrees Celcius in july. Should be a bit colder in september.

Sorry but what's the dew point temperature ?

Many people think water is conductive, but it is actually only the particles dissolved in the water that makes it nonconductive.

:D

Edited by The Smith