Best Wireless router

radodrill

My current wireless router finally went all the way down the crapper so now I'm in the market for a new one.

The old one is a D-link DI-624 and as many of you know it's been causing connectivity issues for a while (evidenced by frequent logging out/in to MSN; and dropping the IP to the ISP); so now I'm using my D-Link DVG-1402S VOIP router to keep my wired network going (and to confirm that the DI-624 is the cause of the connectivity issues).

Any recommendations on a new router would be greatly appreciated; the wireless cards that connect to it are rated for super G throughput (108 Mbps)

Dlink DGL4300 . . .

Nuff said

do you have any personal experience with it?

I noticed that one after we got the DI-624 but didn't buy one since we then already had a wireless router.

On a side note: before I had the DVG-1402S VOIP router piggybacked off the DI-624 with all the hardwire networked devices connected to the DI-624 either directly or through an 8-port switch. Would this be the ideal configuration with the new router or should I have the new router (also handling the wired home network) behind the DVG-1402S?

what is the maid difference between all the wrt54g versions? 54g, 54gl, 54gs etc... from what I see, they all look the same.

If DD-WRT is going on it, don't you need one of the older revisions for it to flash properly?

what is the maid difference between all the wrt54g versions? 54g, 54gl, 54gs etc... from what I see, they all look the same.

If DD-WRT is going on it, don't you need one of the older revisions for it to flash properly?

I've flashed several of the cheapo's the 54g models that are v8. I own the 54gl model and I can tell you the "L" stands for linux.

Here is a list for compatibilty for dd-wrt firmware btw

the dlink one wev mentioned I have heard alot of great things about and will fully support your other 108mbps gear..... but if you don't do a LOT of file transferring over your network and are comfortable with putting third party firmware you will definitely prefer the wrt54gl <--- these things are tried and true!

Hope you get something going soon!

The support of Gigabit speeds on the router itself would be a nice plus; I currently have most of my wired network running through an 8-port Gigabit Switch.

Based on the reading I've done on the DGL-4300 that may be the one to go for; in part due to the traffic prioritization options as I would be able to give my VOIP phone service upload bandwidth priority.

It's not that I'm against flashing to a third-party firmware on the WRT-54G it's more looking at what will provide the best package for my needs.

Just so you know if you aren't familiar with dd-wrt you can prioritize everything with it's QoS features it's extremely flexible. Really the options are "Recockulous" and I have said it before here it's just like seeing DFI's Lanparty bios for the first time.