Speaker build.

diff_lock

Guys, I had some drivers from my creative 5.1 setup, I didn't like the surround setup, so I have made some full range speakers using the satellite drivers, and some old sony stereo speaker amp.

I enclosed the drivers in a length of pvc pipe and sealed the ends with foam. I also filled the interior with stuffing and a sock.

But what end up with is a speaker with very harsh highs.

Can anyone explain this? And what can I do to fix this.

Mack27, I skimmed through your link, all I could make out was that there was a load (resistor) in parallel with the speaker driver. (EDIT, i went back and read more, thats some thinking going on there. I might give it a try, how it increases the resistance at higher freq, why? I don't know. Effectively tuning down the highs. But then again I have an EQ.)

thecnodanvan, I used only the drivers from the speakers. The foam used is EPP foam 3mm think or so.

I would like to add that the foam on the other end of the pipe is acting like a passive radiator.

speakers_pvc_amp_flash_sound_muc-5.jpg

speakers_pvc_amp_flash_sound_muc-4.jpg

speakers_pvc_amp_flash_sound_muc-3.jpg

speakers_pvc_amp_flash_sound_muc-2.jpg

speakers_pvc_amp_flash_sound_muc-1.jpg

So those drivers were the only drivers in the satellites? I guess they're fairly small, should be able to do okay highs...

What kind of power does your amp give them? Is it plugged into the same power strip as your computer? Or are they at least grounded together?

Edit:

What kind of music are you testing them with? Try using something without much bass to ensure that it doesn't mess with the rest of the speakers characteristics.

I listen to everything, but once place where these speakers are really bad is rock, with electric guitars and chords.

I will try to electronically tame the highs. Like that parallel resistor.

I am running them like normal speakers to this receiver.

speakers_pvc_amp_flash_sound_mucic_.jpg

And this is what I ravaged for parts.

creativeinspire5300.jpg

The receiver is not grounded but the computer case is (and everything connected to it). I run the headphone out to RCA and plug that to the receiver.

Right now I am listening to a Cat Stevens song (acoustic+vocals) and it sound alright.

The drivers are rated at 10w (peak I would assume), nothing crazy.

Try plugging the stereo into the same outlet as your computer if it isn't already (wasn't really clear from your last post). This is important when using your computer as a preamp.

How much power does that amp deliver? Might want to be careful driving those little guys with it.

maybe totally useless but here is an idea

i had a similar case some time ago, when changing from 4.1 speakers to 5.1. though i dont know what difference that should make, the high tones all started screeking. however, a simple driver reinstall fixed this, and the problem never returned.

you probebly thought of this, but it worked for me...worth a shot :)

you may want to use a crossover to get rid of the db's the speakers cant handle...that would make more sense...

if you feed it with full range sound and it wasnt designed for it...sound quality will suffer...

you can find alot of info on speakers and ratings and alot of other speaker info on building speakers at partsexpress.com I buy most all of my speaker building stuff from these guys...they also have guides to teach you what all the speaker info means...;)