How well does this work?

I'm thinking about getting some of this stuff:

Brushed Chrome Film

My only use for it (at least for the moment) would be as a cover of sorts for my DVD drive. Would it stick well enough to the drive?

Is it flexible enough to follow the indentations on the existing case, or is it sturdy enough to just go over them without issues?

Is it thin enough that I can cover the sides and it won't affect how easily it slides into a bay?

Lastly, does anyone have a picture of how this stuff (and other variants, for that matter) actually looks after being applied to something?

If the brushed chrome is the same as the carbon fiber film (purchased from mnpctech also) then:

The film sticks well to DVD drives, fan controlers, ect. The film does effect the size, so some cases it makes for a tight fit. You might have problems with peeling on tight corners with a small edge. It's flexible and forms around slight indentations.

Examples of the CF film:

1003197sdc9.jpg

1002984lk6.jpg

1002561nc9.jpg

testing flexiblity? It's not perfect but workable.

1003267dv6.jpg

Thanks for the pics mknwatt! Did you purchase the "squegee" through them as well? I'd imagine a credit card would work just fine but for 2 bucks...

I wish Carl would crawl out of his armchair and post some as well, I'm sure that guy has done something like this.

I've been racking my rain trying to figure out where I've seen what I want to do before...I think UncleDavid might have done it in his long butt thread. Might have to look for that tomorrow.

In any case I probably won't do it simply because I don't want to buy a whole sheet + shipping just to use a 6x8 chunk of it. I'll probably just let it go for the time being unless it ends up looking terrible.

The smaller projects I just use my fingers. Large surfaces the squegee (never purchased) or a credit card would work best to remove the air bubbles.

As you can see, I use the film to cover all my drives, brings it all together :) I ordered this stuff about 1 year ago, covered a lot of hardward with it. The last being the voltage display panel (fixing the upsidedown CF film, just noticed). SuppA-SnipA will be happy, LOL. I'm also straighting out the left switch. ;)

You should pick up some honeycomb mesh and start a mod :nod:

Edit: be careful using credit card.....it could scratch the surface.

It's NOT a shiny silver.

As it's described, "a brushed chrome".

And I do like the look.

But I'm not sure if it "matches" anything. :)

SideSilver.jpg

I'll be in the field doing demos today but I can probably ship you a 6" x 8" piece via the mail on Wednesday.

PM your address again Dan and I'll get it out.

I may have even more but I'm deciding if I want to do the same thing with Antec 900 #2. :)

I've got the CF too (just remarkable work on your case mknwatt) and I could probably spare a 6x8 sheet of that as well.

Let me know the area you need to cover and I'll do some measuring on what I have "in stock".

(no armchair, just been busy with torturing my E8400 and DFI LT P35. I'll post some updates on the SR-1 project soon.)

DSCF2483.jpg

DSCF2490.jpg

That stuff is pretty good man, that's if it is the same as the carbon fiber, as stated earlier. I didn't use their tool, just an old credit card that had the edges dulled down a bit from use. I was a bit afraid of using something with a sharp edge, in case it got snagged on something underneath the film and rip it. Keep a needle handy to pop any air bubbles, works a charm.

I'll be in the field doing demos today but I can probably ship you a 6" x 8" piece via the mail on Wednesday.

PM your address again Dan and I'll get it out.

I may have even more but I'm deciding if I want to do the same thing with Antec 900 #2. :)

I've got the CF too (just remarkable work on your case mknwatt) and I could probably spare a 6x8 sheet of that as well.

Let me know the area you need to cover and I'll do some measuring on what I have "in stock".

(no armchair, just been busy with torturing my E8400 and DFI LT P35. I'll post some updates on the SR-1 project soon.)

That'd be great! Basically what I want to do is cover the top and (ideally) the sides of a DVD burner because it's going into an all acrylic case. I figured the standard steel finish would be somewhat of a turnoff since most other things in there are either bright UV reactive colors or at least painted.

You can measure any typical drive for the dimensions, but it looks like ~6 1/2" covers the depth, ~10" to cover the width + the height of the sides. The drive seems to easily slide into the bay right now, so I'm hoping I can cover the sides. If not...well...whatever.

I can't seem to find the pic UncleDavid took. It wasn't in his V1100 thread so maybe I'm just imagining things. I'm getting to old for the ..

Anyhoo, PM sent Carl!