gift certificate

nice_shoes

I've got a $75 gift certificate at newegg, and I want to buy some FPS games.

I could use some help picking out some games, but:

[1] I only play single-player, against the computer - I don't want to do multi-player

[2] my computer is starting to show its age - Athlon 3500 with 6600 GT video card.

I think I will buy F.E.A.R. for about $20, and Painkiller for about $28, so that leaves about another $27 to get a third game, maybe Call of Duty 4, but I don't know if my hardware can handle it.

BF2 single player is pretty crap, COD4 is awesome on single player its not that its really short its because its so enjoyable you don't realize 3 hours have went by, but it may be a little too rich for smooth gameplay on a 6600.

I played the demo of bioshock and it looked awesome, its on my list too. The latest army type FPS are really aimed at multiplayer mostly.

FarCry is a great game with a good graphics engine that even on low still looks sweet, on my old X800XT mostly medium I was getting over 50 FPS so its pretty much on par with your card, plus FarCry is dirt cheap now.

If you haven't palyed any of the Deltaforce games then you should give those a look , might be able to pick up a few for the price of one, I loved those games, single player and online.

Half life games, the source engine is pretty kind to older hardware and the story is pretty good.

Oblivion for longevity but it will have to be on medium settings.

Doom 3 - scary stressful game - again it will happily chew up your 6600 though

Thief 3 - totally sucked my free time and it should be really cheap these days. I would go so far to say that this is possibly the best stealth game I have played and I have played 3.

Guest SuppA-SnipA
Half life games, the source engine is pretty kind to older hardware and the story is pretty good.

Oblivion for longevity but it will have to be on medium settings.

Doom 3 - scary stressful game - again it will happily chew up your 6600 though

Thief 3 - totally sucked my free time and it should be really cheap these days. I would go so far to say that this is possibly the best stealth game I have played and I have played 3.

lol what are u talking bout? i played doom 3 1024 x 768 all high 2 x AA on a 6600gt (which now died :( )

if he lowers the resolution, he'll be ok...

why dont u put it toward a new graphics card ;)

i would agree, you can pick up a 7600GT(I have an evga 256mb, ddr3 version that OC's OK on stock fan 600/800) for near that price, it handles all my games great maxed out settings @1280x1024 its basically the same as an 8600GT minus the directx10 from what I've seen. I just got a zalman vf700 for mine to keep me ocupied for awhile till a new windows and new direct x come out, hopefully by early 2009.

Or if not I have a MSI 6800 that I'll sell you cheap