eVGA 780i + QX6850 + 4GB RAM + 8800Ultra + XP, having issues...

Its such a new board that there isn't much in the way of a good knowledge base out there yet, It could be down to just an early BIOS flaw. I would definitely try flashing to the latest if there is one. Other stuff like you use a USB keyboard and Mouse and are the options in the BIOS set to enabled?

I would run a minimum setup, 1 HDD, RAM, GPU and No sound card.

If it happens on XP and in Vista then I'd say its got nothing to do with either OS. I would lean towards the Hard drives but if you have checked them with WD's diagnostic software then thats about all you can do. Hell it could even be the case itself, do an out of case setup on a bench. Gotta be driving you nuts cause that is one smoking Rig

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in another 3 hours, I'll do the BIOS flash, cuz by then it'll be 24 hours stable in Prime95 at stock, worthy of a Stock Database entry.

I did go to basic setup during install each time (one HDD, RAM, GPU and sound card) and XP has continued to do it... maybe it is the drives having issues, who knows... what erks me is that it's not consistant.

I will run WD's diag tool if nothin' works any better with the flash etc. and see if that finds anything up... with my Vista Drive being dead, which didn't know until recently, could be...

And yes it's extremely annoying because up until 2 1/2 weeks ago when I got the dumbass idea to clean out my cooling system and redo the tubing, my system never EVER had any issues, and when I did that, problems started that I thought were my 680i dying, so I set it up for RMA, ordered the 780i with the new PSU, hooked up that up, tried Tri-SLI, killed the board, HDD and PSU, RMAed all that junk, and it's been turmoil since then.

One thing that is nice about stock... load temps LMAO 48C Full Prime95 8k FFT runs load is sweeeeeeeeet ;) and that's core temperature, mowahaha. lol First time this baby has ever been stable at stock settings, never been able to tame this processor to stock before. I love this board, hope it's not the cause of the issue.

Welp, assuming a BIOS flash helps, the next thing I will be doing is installing drivers that will supposedly work with the new 9600GT when released ::drools:: And works with all current 6-7-8 series cards. Something about Beta International Drivers makes me feel... safe... same with the 169.28s I use now. Maybe it's the large file size. hehe Anywho, 1 hour 35 minutes roughly speaking to 24 hours... til then I sit here, bored to .. ::wishes she was playing Crysis right now::

Well... I don't want to sound too optimistic but I think the BIOS flash may have fixed it partially at least... gonna test it out back at 3.8GHz tomorrow... did some tests at stock with the new drivers.... holy GOD did NVidia do somethin' nice:

169.28 drivers: 3Dmark06: 13836 at all stock on my system

New drivers I tested: 3DMark06: 14506 =-O no OCing on any part in my system.

DAYUM. 700pts from a driver revision. That's sick.

Wow, I'm in the middle of putting those drivers in myself. Fingers crossed your problem is fixed. Good luck

Well I installed the .28 drivers and indeed my 06 score went from 10384 to 10781, not bad at all. Thanx :)

damn you indeed :)

Meh, ain't like mY PSU can handle the SLI of two Ultras full on anyway... can't wait to get my Ultra 1600W back, assuming it works this time, no more having to worry if 3DMark03 hitting 6000FPS is going to make my PSU shut down because of overamping every time I run it LOL

Well, new PSU works great so far, tested in 3DMark03 and passed, only dipped from 12.197 to 12.141 under 3DMark03 load (4000+FPS with just one card =-O) so that's good... However...

Lag issue isn't gone. Loading a HTML file for viewing in IE takes 5-10 seconds just to pull up... it used to be instantaneous on my old configuration before all the problems started :(

EDIT:

Anyone? It only happens while loading certain things or closing certain things... ??? I'm going to shut down and try different RAM, if that has no effect I'm gonna order a new HDD and try that with a new install and all my files on there... if that don't work I dunno wtf I'm gonna do.

Good luck Charmed,

Keep us posted.

Do the lights on your block dim when you load that PSU up? :)

If not you've apparently stolen the power generating technology from that spaceship that crash landed in Roswell way back when :)