eVGA 780i + QX6850 + 4GB RAM + 8800Ultra + XP, having issues...

Good luck Charmed,

Keep us posted.

Do the lights on your block dim when you load that PSU up? :)

If not you've apparently stolen the power generating technology from that spaceship that crash landed in Roswell way back when :)

This PSU is sturdy when you get a working model. Passed all benchmarks AND!!!!

I FIXED THE LAG :-D

Dunno what program/service it was, but I went in to Diagnostic Mode, which only runs 12 services, and it wasn't there... so I did my Windows XP Services Tweaks from the good old days, disabled everything not needed for the next boot up, then removed Indexing and crap, and viola, Poof goes the lag :-D I'm very happy right now... 15.6K at 3.8GHz ain't too bad for an Ultra I think. I could probably break 16k with some heavy OCing on the card, but nah. I'm so looking forward to playing Crysis again... eeeexcellent.

Anyway, I went from (in the position I'm in right now) having 60 Processes running, to right now, as we speak, with AOL, Xfire and two IEs running, 46 processes. One of the 14ish I disabled musta been the problem.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is. Retesting with the new PSU @ 3.8GHz while I'm at work today, so hopefully I'll be coming home to a 100% stable computer that's good for some serious fragging tonight.

I'll have to post my Windows XP Service Tweaks tonight (I made them when I first got XP based off of Black Viper's Service Tweaks, eliminates all non-essential services that the common gamer doesn't use). I was shocked when I first rebooted after doing them, 2 1/2 loading bars to get in to Windows. It has since gone up, but that was still impressive (now @ ~4 1/4 bars and steady).

Musta been one of the services... dunno which one. Cuz now I can run Everest, my UPS Monitor, CoreTemps and Prime95 (was running when I left) and programs that usually take a while to load just normally when I'm not having issues (like PowerTools) load up quicker than normal. I like it :tooth:

Hopefully I'll be posting tonight with 3.8GHz @ 1.48125Vs instead of 1.48275V, not like it's a huge diffy (CPUz doesn't even show a voltage readout difference thanks to the VDROOP Mod I did) but it does still make a slight difference in temps, I think... we'll see... didn't have time to sit there and watch load temps when it finally got to 8k cuz I woke up 30 minutes before I had to be to work ::Bleh:: lol

Anywho :spam: I'm done :tooth:

Charmed,

That is all super news. Glad you got the lag issue resolved and some pretty darn good clocks on your rig too.

The BV Services List is a pretty awesome reference for disabling all of those un-needed services.

Angry_Games also shows some tweaking to the services in his Windows XP Tweaking Guide Video Tutorial. That is definitely worth a watch. I've watched it three different times myself, and use many of his suggestions (some of which I've been doing ever since XP came out) others that I wasn't aware you could change.

Anyway, you can find it here;

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43100

It might be a good idea to try and replicate the Lag issue by turning the services back on one by one and find the culprit, it may help others with the same issue.

Once I get full stability with the new PSU I plan to do that, but I'm having that g** d*** 6-7 hours in Prime95 freeze issue, so trying to rectify that first lol I think it's just kinks from the new PSU being in and my RAM being in the wrong slots, we'll see. It's at 6 hours now, no errors/freezes yet and temps are the same as when it passed at 3.8 last time, so I ain't too worried.