Computer wont shut off!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably open the box with lots of excitement and forget that the way they are packed makes everything full of static and they reach straight in and fry it before its out of the bag lol. Everything I touch in my house gives me a shock so this is the first thing I make sure off when handling new stuff. I seriously doubt this is your problem but its always the thing you least expect which ends up to be the culprit.

I bought 2 of the Giga P35's and both have worked flawlessly apart from mine which was my fault cause I treated it a little too rough, but the wife's hasn't missed a beat. After I got mine back from RMA its running top notch again. I don't think I would trade it in even for an X38

I put a different power supply on and it seemed to run fine. The fans did not spin up like before. I did not run the computer long tho, I just did not have time. But its looking like the power supply. I will be pulling the comuter apart when I get home from work. Can I run my hard drives out side of the case. Like can I put the drives on my desk and just let them run? Are there any other test I sould do on the power supply/motherboard to rule out the board from being bad? Thanks for all the help so far!

There are many a hard drive that have seen time outside of a case on my workbench. Just take the precautionary anti-static measures and be careful when you are handling them.

If everything works with a different power supply, then I'd be inclined to just RMA or replace the PSU. Even though the OCZ GameXStream 700W is a dandy, every now and then everyone makes a lemon.

If everything works with a different power supply, then I'd be inclined to just RMA or replace the PSU. Even though the OCZ GameXStream 700W is a dandy, every now and then everyone makes a lemon.

I hear what you are saying. Im just bummed that I have to rma yet another part. I guess thats part of being an DIYer right. lol

I have been stating to wonder if the bad gigabyte board I had was because of a faulty power supply. When I hook up my old power supply "hyper type-r 580w" my fan lights look dimmer. What are the odds of the power supply pushing to much power out? Is there a way to check that without having the power supply hooked up to a motherboard? I do have a multi-meter. Never used it but I do have one.

On the motherboard connector (24pin) there is a 1 green wire, just use a paper clip and short the green wire with any black wire on the same connector and it will turn on.

Then set your multimeter to measure voltage 0-20v is the most common setting and then test a molex connector, black to black and check the other three colors with the red and you will get your readings, you should test a molex from each chain. To add a little load on the PSU while testing you could add a few old CDROM's or hard drives you may have lying around

I thought that I would let you guys know that I have my computer up and running right now! I put my old power supply in "Hyper type-r 580w" and have not had a problem so far. Im going to rma my ocz one and see if the new one works better. Again thanks for all the input that you guys have given me! You really helped out! Have a beer on me "god knows that I had a few lol"! :beer

Glad to hear that you managed to isolate the culprit!

Sorry to hear that it was your OCZ power supply. Lucky for you it's an OCZ as they have outstanding customer support and I'm sure they will take care of you.

Lucky for you it's an OCZ as they have outstanding customer support and I'm sure they will take care of you.

I know, I had to rma some ram one time and they got me up and running in a week and half. They paid for the shipping both ways and the even made a mistake and sent me 2 kits, I called them up and told them, they told me for my honesty to just keep the memory. That is why I buy OCZ ram, I hope they take care of me with this power supply.

Well I have been running prime95 for the past 15hrs without a hicup. Im going for 24hr, eventho I cant use prime95 for the SSD, cant get ortho to run in vista. :mad: