Which would you buy if money wasn't an issue???

TheReaper

Because a single 8800GT 256mb card is only marginally slower than the 512mb version up to certain resolutions.

Because the price point on the 256mb cards is better than on the 512mb cards.

When you SLi two of the 256mb cards at most common resolutions up to say 1600X1200 they are going to stomp the yard on a lot of single card solutions available right now.

Now all of this is gleaned from copious amounts of online resources concerning the performance of a single 256mb card. I can't claim first hand knowledge, but I'm expolating the performance and apparent fair scaling of these cards in SLi.

I'd love to hear from someone actually running two of the 8800GT 256mb cards in SLi and how they are scaling performance wise, and how the performance results stack up against the current single card solutions.

If I had an nVidia based chipset board I'd do it myself, but unfortunately I'm tied to either a single card nVidia solution or Crossfire on two hd3850's or two hd3870's.

As far as power connections go, each card needs it's own PCIe 6-pin connector.

I just want to know the definition of expolating? :eek2:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is easy...

Regardless of if money is a concern or not, your best bang for bug is an EVGA 8800GTX. I'll tell ya why.

First, yer getting a GTX, which is the second fastest stock graphics card out there. Second, with EVGA, yer getting the Step Up program, which means with the 9800GTX comes out in 2 months, you can pay $100 at most, and get yerself a brand spankin' new 9800GTX. Third, and finally, it's Triple SLI compatible, if you wanna go that route. Overall a GTX is the most sound investment, Ultras are too expensive, and other newer and older cards are not going to be step-upable in time, or as good at some games, as the GTX will be.

I recently gave the same recommendation to a friend that was upgrading from a 7800GTX and he couldn't be happier that he finally listened to me, cuz now he's gonna get a 9800GTX in two months for $100, and he's got 2x the performance of a 7800GTX right now.

It does matter if it is 2,3 or 4. The memory is not additive in SLI or CF. The same resolution/AA

versus memory size limits apply just like a single card.

Viper

Viper is completely correct, the only difference between SLI, Triple SLI, Quad SLI and single card is that you have more GPUs to handle the load better and faster, the amount of RAM available does not change as all 2, 3 or 4 cards are loaded with the EXACT same stuff, pretty much, so there's no actually justification in figuring 2x7950GX2's = 2GBs of video ram... cuz yeah, technically it IS 2GBs of video RAM, but the computer only sees it as 1GB as it's ... basically kinda like a mirror raid I guess you could say.

This is easy...

Regardless of if money is a concern or not, your best bang for bug is an EVGA 8800GTX. I'll tell ya why.

First, yer getting a GTX, which is the second fastest stock graphics card out there. Second, with EVGA, yer getting the Step Up program, which means with the 9800GTX comes out in 2 months, you can pay $100 at most, and get yerself a brand spankin' new 9800GTX. Third, and finally, it's Triple SLI compatible, if you wanna go that route. Overall a GTX is the most sound investment, Ultras are too expensive, and other newer and older cards are not going to be step-upable in time, or as good at some games, as the GTX will be.

I recently gave the same recommendation to a friend that was upgrading from a 7800GTX and he couldn't be happier that he finally listened to me, cuz now he's gonna get a 9800GTX in two months for $100, and he's got 2x the performance of a 7800GTX right now.

For resolutions up to 1680x1050; the 8800GTS 512 is actually a better choice for Best Bang for the Buck, as it offers near the same performance at those resolutions; at higher resolutions the 8800GTX takes the crown for the best choice.

Viper is completely correct, the only difference between SLI, Triple SLI, Quad SLI and single card is that you have more GPUs to handle the load better and faster, the amount of RAM available does not change as all 2, 3 or 4 cards are loaded with the EXACT same stuff, pretty much, so there's no actually justification in figuring 2x7950GX2's = 2GBs of video ram... cuz yeah, technically it IS 2GBs of video RAM, but the computer only sees it as 1GB as it's ... basically kinda like a mirror raid I guess you could say.

In your example of the 7950GX2's; each GPU actually only has access to 512Mb, since each 7950GX2 has 1Gb total but it is actually 2 512Mb graphics cards linked in SLI.

SLI and Crossfire is basically a parallel processing sub-system for the graphics rendering. Each GPU has the same amount of resources at it's disposal, namely what's on that card; so the limitations of a single card also apply in a multi-GPU environment, the difference being that the task is achieved more quickly (due to load splitting) allowing higher overall framerates

I'll go off-topic briefly.

A term used in scientific and statistical circles to describe taking current data, observations, facts and predicting what they might do in the future based on the current data sets.

I'll go off-topic briefly.

A term used in scientific and statistical circles to describe taking current data, observations, facts and predicting what they might do in the future based on the current data sets.

I think you meant extrapolating ;)

Back on topic.

Maybe the first question we should have asked Reaper is what size, resolution and type of monitor he is currently using and what are his plans for the future (monitor upgrades).

We should have also asked him what games he currently plays and what games might he plan to play in the future.

What other video intensive tasks does he perform and at what resolutions.

All of these questions are important for determining "how much" video card do you need. No need in over spending if you don't have to unless you've got money to burn.

Now with that being said, Reaper presented his budget and the two cards he was currently considering. Both of which are awesome cards, manufactured and marketed for two distinct consumer segments. We have all given our thoughts on the subject and hopefully it will help him make an informed buying decision.

I'll bet in reality he may not need a GTX (but it's certainly cool to say you've got one). I'll bet in reality he may not need two 512mb cards in SLi (but it's certainly cool to say you've got them).

And all I would say is that in my particular application - if I had a spare $500 laying around - running at resolutions up to 1680X1050 which is the native resolution of my monitor - I would choose SLi if my board supported it.

I think you meant extrapolating ;)

There you go. Nothing like a drunk industrial engineer typing in the wee hours of the morning trying to make sense :)

Just like I did just then when I meant to quote your post instead of edit it. Some days I'm worthless.

Hi guys, thanks for all your 2cents, I should keep asking questions until I have enough to buy my card ;p ;p Really appreciate your advice.

Ok I run two of these http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(23931)Dell-2...Widescreen.aspx for video editing and plan to run crysis as I hear good things and I'll try R6V:2 and a few other games I have been told to try. but it needs to be good full HD video editing and 3D amimation production at above 2000 res.

The monitors aren't mine they are going back to the owner v v soon, but I will be running above 2000 res in some instances... but not all the time.

In that case I'd recommend the GTX. Or, if you're not in a big hurry, do like others have suggested and wait for the nine series cards to come out. We may see big performance increases from the nine series - or maybe the result will be a market push towards lower prices on the current eight series cards (even the GTX - maybe - just maybe)

his sounds cool but how does it work? is it a software upgrade?

"with EVGA, yer getting the Step Up program, which means with the 9800GTX comes out in 2 months, you can pay $100 at most, and get yerself a brand spankin' new 9800GTX"