Sign in to follow this  
TheReaper

Which would you buy if money wasn't an issue???

I would actually wait for a month or so, when the nine series hit the selfs ^^

.....if money wasnt a issue

Up to $500? I'd buy two 8800GT (G92) 256mb cards and put them in SLi. Just my two cents. Kranky has a great suggestion though too. You might wait a bit and see what shakes out once nVidia 9 series cards hit the shelves.

well what i have heard so far they are gonne be way better then what is out now...lol im gonne look end of this year to see what i need to get myself a new beast, going 1500 euri and counting so far.....

Wevsspot, why two 8800GT (G92) 256mb cards and put them in SLi, is that better/faster than one 512/768mb gts/gtx? would two gt need seperate power plugs each?

go with gts512 unless you're going to use very high resolutions. you'll get no benefit from the gtx over the 512 unless you're running at like 1600x1200 or something like that.

Wevsspot, why two 8800GT (G92) 256mb cards and put them in SLi, is that better/faster than one 512/768mb gts/gtx? would two gt need seperate power plugs each?

Because a single 8800GT 256mb card is only marginally slower than the 512mb version up to certain resolutions.

Because the price point on the 256mb cards is better than on the 512mb cards.

When you SLi two of the 256mb cards at most common resolutions up to say 1600X1200 they are going to stomp the yard on a lot of single card solutions available right now.

Now all of this is gleaned from copious amounts of online resources concerning the performance of a single 256mb card. I can't claim first hand knowledge, but I'm expolating the performance and apparent fair scaling of these cards in SLi.

I'd love to hear from someone actually running two of the 8800GT 256mb cards in SLi and how they are scaling performance wise, and how the performance results stack up against the current single card solutions.

If I had an nVidia based chipset board I'd do it myself, but unfortunately I'm tied to either a single card nVidia solution or Crossfire on two hd3850's or two hd3870's.

As far as power connections go, each card needs it's own PCIe 6-pin connector.