Looking to upgrade to a dual-core

bigmit37

I have the NF4 ultra-d motherboard.

I am not in a rush, so please let me know which are the better ones?

At the moment, I want something $100 or less, but then again, If one of the more expensive ones goes on sale, I will jump on that.

So if you don't mind please list some of the better ones for my motherboard within a wider range of prices.

Thank you.

EDIT: I am planning on getting a dual-core processor. I heard that some processors have trouble with certain types of ram.

just get what you can find for your price range....I am afraid all the good ones are gone now and all you have left are LCB*E steppings....they run a little hotter but do ok...

the 3800 still seems to be a good bet but better hurry before they are all gone...;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can get a s939 dual core 2.0ghz Manchester core for $49.99 on Newegg right now. I picked up a 2.2ghz Manchester before Xmas for $65.99.

Those are some really nice prices.

If you want to get a dual core without building an entirely new system, now is the time.

id keep the 3500, dual core doesn't make the difference you think it does.

Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I went from an overclocked San Diego 3700 to an X2 4800 on my Ultra-D board and it was one of the finest upgrades I ever made to that platform.

And it did make most all of the difference that I thought it would.

id keep the 3500, dual core doesn't make the difference you think it does.

as wev says, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm with Wev as once I moved to dual-core, I've never looked back.

Single core is just fine for gaming, but I don't game 100% of the time...and in everything but gaming is where you see the increase in performance from a dual core...opening programs, web pages, whatever, it all is much nicer with a dual core cpu.

You don't even need anything top notch...just a cheapo 3800+ X2 will do you just fine.

And it did make most all of the difference that I thought it would.

heh, yeah. Never looked back either.

I agree with bcbooter'spost above.

On one of my two DFI nF4 ultra-D mobo's I replaced a 3200+ with an X2 4200+.

I can OC it a LITTLE bit higher, but only about 160MHz more than the 3200+.

As far as my own human perception, I can't actually perceive any difference between the 3200+ and the X2 4200+. Before the upgrade I expected there'd be a nice performance boost, but afterwards am disappointed, because the computer does not seem any faster or snappier than it did with the single core 3200+.