3870 X2 (dual 3870 gpu's on single pcb) in Crossfire

Angry_Games

Mine's being delivered today.... a few hours AFTER I'M GONE ON A PLANE TO NV. Damn it.

so uve orderd a single 3870xt thraxz? or two?

ive got 6 days till i can order one or two, im still waiting for payday :( .

found sum crossfire 3870 tests http://www.technic3d.com/article-593,1-sap...-der-spitze.htm

not in english again, but the numbers are all u need.

i thought this thread was more relivent to post the link because of being crossfired cards together.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got two HD3870XTs in my rig running at 855/2450 on the stock coolers and apparently BIOS limited to 860 or below. ANY clock above is insta-black screen. It's hard to believe that BOTH cards just so HAPPEN to insta-black screen on any freq higher than 860 as anything other than a set limitation. SO.... My xfire OC results in ...

15.6k in 3dmark06.... while bottlenecked to hell by a 2.98GHz quad.... IN VISTA. I was seeing FPS bottlenecking in the 100 to 150+range through out the SM3 tests.

• 2 weeks later...

angry, you never cease to amaze me haha. I feel exactly the same way, without the vehemence, I can't stop laughing at this post. The biggest disappoint me for me was when I was wanted to figure out which quad I wanted the price of the phenom was the same as the q6600. So it was no brainer, with everything I've read on here the q6600 seems to be the opteron 165 of quads. I agree with the price/performance aspect, this is the overclocking forum right? What happened to save money AND increase your peformance per dollar via overclocks? AMD had a good plan with their initial pricing for the phenoms when they were on paper, and it would have worked too but stinking Intel countered with a mighty fine punch. It had me buying their product. We'll see what happens though. My friend said when the prices for Phenom dropped to a point where he thought it would be a better value than intel quads, he would buy one. We'll see how long that takes.

• 3 months later...

with all this talk about the phenoms if you want to try one just try to find a compusa before they all close..

I pick't up a 9500+ for $120 dollars and have had it overclock't to 3.2ghz for three month's with no problem's ( with a Thermaltank TR2 heat sink and fan it run's about 46c at idle and 58c with a load on it )

but anyway back to what I was going to ask

do's any body know if window's xp pro will support 4 ati graphic's card's or is that for vista?

I know that nvidia will do three but you have to have to have vista to it and I HATE vista there is just to much crap that come's with and I don't think it is worth my time to go in and remove all of it...

Direct quote from Guru3D

That by itself is a discussion alone, as with the GeForce 7950 GX2 quad-GPU rendering flopped miserably due to two important things, the lack of driver support from NVIDIA's side and Windows XP (had a back buffer issue allowing only two GPUs). Time has changed and with the recent "shoved down your throat" release of Windows Vista this issue however is solved for the bigger part, and for the first time in the history of 3D Rendering, quad-GPU rendering might take off. I've seen the preliminary work on the drivers, actually 3-way SLI in the same development path as the new Quad SLI drivers.

So according to Guru3D it is an OS limitation.

=Kaine;786816']with all this talk about the phenoms if you want to try one just try to find a compusa before they all close..

I pick't up a 9500+ for $120 dollars and have had it overclock't to 3.2ghz for three month's with no problem's ( with a Thermaltank TR2 heat sink and fan it run's about 46c at idle and 58c with a load on it )

but anyway back to what I was going to ask

do's any body know if window's xp pro will support 4 ati graphic's card's or is that for vista?

I know that nvidia will do three but you have to have to have vista to it and I HATE vista there is just to much crap that come's with and I don't think it is worth my time to go in and remove all of it...

teh honest answer is there is absolutely ZERO reason to have more than 2 video cards (gpu's actually).

We've never seen a real reason to have more than 2 gpu's and no site or test or benchmark using REAL games has shown anything but serious issues running more than 2 gpu's...so the answer is get SLI/Crossfire or the dual-gpu cards, but stop there as even with 1920x1200 resolution, those two gpu's should be more than enough.