A Million Songs On One HD?

Guest Blooz1_merged

It's not that we as individuals need the space, though it would give branging rights to anyone who owned one or more of those storage devices.

I see this technology being used more for business applications than anything else.

but you have to remeber there will come a day that we'll need them because bloated OS's will probably require 1TB of storage just to run...

Just think of the difference from todays usage for Vista compared to say...Windows98se....with SE you could get by with 64mb ram and a 10gig HD and never worry about space limits...where as Vista is most happy with 120gigs or higher as the OS can take as much as 20gig just with upgrades and BS stuff.....

EDIT...FYI you can get 1million songs on less than 4TB if you use WMA-64bit settings over the normal 128bit...

I DL'd 1/2life2 episode2 from steam, and it took almost 1/2 my 36gb raptor space. And the game isn't even that long. 1/2life 2 didn't even take up that much room. I know it's because of better code, making for a larger file, but sheesh, 1/2 my hard drive for a short game?

I guess we will be needing the space in the future.

So how much storage would be required to record a persons like assuming 2 video feeds and 2 audio feeds. Shall we say 1680x1050 on each video stream and 128Kbps on audio all at 60 FPS.

Anyone fancy doing the maths?

Man, I remember when people wondered what we would do with 500MB hard drives.

And I remember back when I used a Commodore 64 and thought a 5MB hard drive was huge and nobody would ever need that much. :rolleyes:

With a 4TB drive you could store hundreds of DVDs. You could even store hundreds of game discs as images and run them with a program like Daemon Tools. I already have over 400GB of MP3s and if they were ripped as wav instead then it would take up far more space. Memory requirements will always increase therefore you can never have too much.

Yep!

I remember "back in the day" (Early 90's) when I sold a fileserver to a business in Ca., and they spec'd out a 500Mb drive - they nearly had a heart attack when I told 'em the drive alone cost almost $1K!