I need a good air cooler

I'm putting together a new rig piece by piece a week at a time...I'm getting all the least expensive parts first and was wondering what cooler I should get. My signature shows the MOBO, CPU and ram I already have and the rest is just what I plan to purchase in the coming weeks. My next purchase is probly going to be a hdd or my cpu heatsink/fan. any suggesting will be taken into conscideration because this is my first ground-up build and need all the help I can get. I appreciate your reponses and I have to say this sight has been very helpful and I think I'll tell all my pals about it.:sweat:

Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Zalman 9700 get my vote. Only because I've used both and was very satisfied with cooling efficiency and noise output.

But there are a ton of happy Tuniq Tower users too, and don't forget coolers made by Scythe. They have some good ones too.

Guest drteming

Tuniq all the way. It keeps my 165 oc to 2.8GHz at 30c idle, 38c load. Those are single core temperatures from back in my A64 3000+ days.

Thermalright Ultra120 is very good too. slap it with a fan and u get really low temps :)

Btw, just out of the question, im planning to get another cooler which fits into HTPC cases, do you think Zalman 9700 does a great job? or any other alternatives.

cheers

I was really fond of the 9700 I was using before I water cooled my current setup. At low-medium fan settings it is dead quiet and still cooled very efficiently.

And it's not a foot tall either (ok I'm stretching a bit here). But it's sized such that it would probably fit nicely in a HTPC case.

• 1 month later...

I'm actually about to upgrade my HSF as well..

I'm debating between the Thermalright Ultra-120 ,or the Ultima-90 (not the ultra).

Basically the Ultima-90 is a smaller (and much cheaper) version of the 120-extreme.

both will be paired up with a 1600RPM scyth 120mm fan.

I was really fond of the 9700 I was using before I water cooled my current setup. At low-medium fan settings it is dead quiet and still cooled very efficiently.

And it's not a foot tall either (ok I'm stretching a bit here). But it's sized such that it would probably fit nicely in a HTPC case.

Another vote for the 9700 Im running one and its excellent, I keep it around medium speed and its brill, just wish id would have realised that the other one (nvidia branded) is pwm controlled, which would be nice.