Oddball OCing Question--Whats Better

This si just one of those odd queation's what's better Ive got my box running just rock solid it's a Opty-170 running at 2.8 I know hardly wirth bragging about but it makes me feel pretty good about it. now the question at

2.8 myHT=933 fsb 311 9X multy and hear is the deal 133/266=413.630

OR this is on DDDR500 ram fellas

2.7 myHT=900 fsb 300 9X multy and hear is the deal 333 =498.00

Now i know MHZ is king but that is one heck of a diff in ram timing im running a 2X1Gig or DDR500 GSkill black label ram so is 100mhyz in ram worth all that ram timing?

I apreachate the time guy's and if anybody has anybetter multyplyer numbers I could try 10 up is my limit. BA

Ok Darkorb I took your advise and left my cpu clock alone and left it at 2.799 and set the ram voltage from 2.6 to 2.7 and reset the timing up to 333=516Mhz on my rambuss. Ill let you know how it goes. This Gskill ddr500 ram goes exactly to 500 and start's crapping out at 501 so well see if this work's. Ive never OCed the ram before expept to take it to 506 once to get it up to 1/1 on a 2X4200 once getting it up to 2.8,. I know my Opty 170 will go over 3.0 but iAhave no need to run that fast and am loking for a nice stable OC for 24/7. thanks for the advise Ill let you know how it works' out. BA

Well Darkorb I think it's official i just played my favourite video game SOF-2 and it put the pep back in my box, and didnt freez or get hot or anything. that ram setting sure did change the way this old box act's surfing the net most anything. Running ddr500 ram at 400mhz just slowed this deal waaayyyy doooowwwwnnn. Thanks' a bunch it really helped [Judge]BadArthur

they probably get hot too. maybe place a fan on them. they got a heatsink ?

i got my ballistix tracers to do ddr 600 :tooth: but it helps to have a fan on them.

I don't think there will be a heat problem with the memory at 2,7V. That is still pretty low. DDR should not need cooling until 3.0V or so.

I was just trying to put the various settings in your first post in the A64 Info calcultor. Your first set of numbers, fsb 311 9X multi and 133 divider, give a memory speed of 199 or 398 DDR.

So, there is an even more significant difference.

A better spot would be 280 FSB X 10 with 180 divider for a memory speed of 254. Now I know you said that your memory craps out at 251, but, I bet it will run at 255 with the right timings and voltage.

A better spot would be 280 FSB X 10 with 180 divider for a memory speed of 254.

That may well be true Capt, but it also puts the mem Divisor at 11. Even if the op can boot with an odd divisor, it could well be very unstable.

That may well be true Capt, but it also puts the mem Divisor at 11. Even if the op can boot with an odd divisor, it could well be very unstable.

I forgot about the Odd Divider issue, but, I thought the only issue was that the actual mem speed was lower than what folks were being told. I don't remember discussions about stability issues. Did a couple of searches, but did not come up with any results on instability due to odd memory dividers.

I'll need to find some to reeducate myself. Mainly as it doesn't make much sense. Lower mem speed shouldn't decrease stability.

However, bottom line is that my suggestion would result in an actual mem speed of 235 which is no good.

Yes, the mem speed would be lower, but only if the op enables "odd divisor correct". I've always found it to be pointless myself, might aswell run with an even divisor in the first place with the ram speed as high as possible. The stabilty issue comes if you don't enable "odd divisor correct".

Can you point me to some threads on this issue? As I said, I did a couple of searches but did not turn up anything about instability with odd divisors.

I can't point you to a specific thread Capt. This has come up during numerous threads over the years, so there will be loads of mentions but i don't recall a specific thread. But if you use the calculator in A64 Info, you can see what i mean. There simply is no point even trying to boot on an odd divisor, it's just easier to set the correct divider in the fist place.