Wondering if i have a bad board.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clear the CMOS, load defaults boot enter BIOS put the correct Volts for your RAM and reboot. Make sure the RAM is In the orange slots.

You may need to Searching the Stock Speed Database (SSDB) and try some other memory timings.

by putting correct volts for the ram, are you saying if i have changed them?

I have loaded the defauts for the motherboard.

memory is stable, tested overnight no errors.

ram is in orange slots.

anyone?

figured it was the network card, so i bought a new one to test in its place.

If i run the pc with no pci card it never has any trouble, where when i have a network card installed it bsods on me every time, but in a random amount of minutes.

This sounds like it might be an IRQ issue.

Ok, going back to your original post it seems you're having numerous intermittent problems in and out of windows. Normally, first thing a tech tests with intermittent problems like that is the PSU, but since you have no other machine to pull one out of, lets run through a few other things to rule them out.

• tasr suggested above to check out the SSDB for your ram timings, that's definitely first step.
  • Once you have those written down, you need to power down your machine and do a minimal build (MB, Ram, CPU, Video) nothing else. For RAM, you want just one stick in the orange slot closest to the edge of the board. Be extra careful while applying TIM to your CPU, to rule out a temperature problem.
  • Do a quick CMOS clear, then boot your now minimal machine and enter the BIOS (you won't be able to boot at this point as you don't have any HDDs installed).
  • Now Load optimized defaults. Go to Genie Bios Settings and DRAM configuration. Set your timings as you wrote down from the SSDB. Now set it so that Memtest runs at startup.
  • Save, Reboot, Power down. Now you can install your other stick of RAM in the other orange slot.
  • Run memtest, particularly test 5 and 8, or just leave it at default for a while (for the better part of a day). If it passes go to the next step, or if it fails, go through this procedure with each stick by itself in the Orange slot closest to the edge of the board. If it fails with either stick on it's own, you should post in the Corsair forum and ask one of the reps real nice for some help to make sure your timings are correct, and discuss RMA.
  • With everything working so far, go ahead and install your HDD. You may need to set your boot order in the BIOS when you start up, so don't pull your hair out if it comes up "no boot device" or whatever :) when (and if :-) you get into Windows, try some normal day to day tasks to quick-test stability.
  • Now run one of the stability testing programs we all use (like Orthos) and see how far you get. If you pass a few hours without error, you should be good to power down and install all your other hardware one at a time with the latest drivers and run your machine and use that hardware (like play a CD when you install your drive, or transfer some files across your network when you get your NIC installed.

If you have problems booting or windows crashes at this point, you've ruled out everything except the MB, CPU, VGA, RAM... lol doesn't seem like you've gone far, but first things first ;) Your issue is more than likely either a RAM or PSU issue.

Post with an update when you've got this far. Next thing to rule out is obviously your PSU, for that you'll need either a Digital Multimeter ($10-$20), a Power Supply Tester ($10-$25) or another PSU that is also on the recommended PSU list here.

edit: while you're at it, get a new CMOS battery, it's a CR2032 or equivalent and can usually be found anywhere they sell watches or just about any computer store.

wow dude thanks +5

ill try it out and inform you of the results.

***update***

Everything is going good, all settings are matching Travis' from the ssdb for my board and my ram.

Memtest is now running.

new cmos battery installed.

Will update when i get up.

gotta love 5pm-7am shifts.....

Well guys thought we had it solved.

All the options in the Cmos are the ones from the SSDB from Travis.

Changed the battery, did the buildup and memtested for 8.5 hours.

Everything was good, played on the machine for 5 hours last night, everything worked no problems.

Left it on overnight, and woke up to the same BSOD again.

Heres a few screenshots of my Computer management:

bsodno8.jpg

cderrorzr9.jpg

errors2vk6.jpg

This is the new dvd drive i have installed.

I had the same errors with my old one. I thought that might be the problem, so i just bought a new one and installed it.

Do i need drivers for a SATA dvd drive? or my SATA HD?

I think ive narrowed it down to either SATA drivers, OR an IRQ problem with the motherboard.

When the machine boots up, sometimes i still see the network controller (pci) not there, and the lan eth controller will show up, but if i shut it down immediately, i will see both of them come up.

ok, turn all the things you don't use off in the BIOS, like the onboard LAN if you're using a pci card, and onboard sound if you're not using it. Also, turn off the serial port and Parallel port to free up more resources. You're obviously not using the PATA controller since you have a SATA dvd drive, so go ahead and disable that too. All this will free up resources that may (or may not) be needed.

Get the latest nForce Chipset drivers from here and install them (assuming you're on XP 32 bit). They have all the drivers you should need. DON'T install the IDE SW driver. It is known to cause conflicts that would return the error explained below.

At this point, you're just getting errors from within windows right? no random lockups during the POST?

As far as your windows error codes go, 0000009c is a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and can be cause by 1,000,001 different things, including CPU, MB, RAM and PSU problems. I included some good reading on the code below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795775.aspx

That means the CPU reported an error. Not really helpful in figuring it out. Most of the time, it's caused by high CPU temps, or unstable overclocks, but on these boards, it's easy to have a timing out of whack. Could you post what your timings are so I can have a look? I need to see the error code (just the 8 digit error code) from the two events just after that one you posted, and the 1 before it. I'd also like to see what the CDROM error says in detail, if you could post a screenie of that. But first things first, let me know if re-installing the Chipset drivers without the IDE SW driver changes anything. We'll get to the bottom of this, we're already making progress :)

hey guys im having nearly the same problem

when i turn on the pc

all 4 red led's r on

ram power led is on

but nothing appears on the screen

its pitch black

i've done everything i can

cleared the cmos

removed/installed the graphics/hdd/ram again

what could be the problem?

:(:(