Who is the best with power supplies?

Angry_Games

Sounds good to me. Two things I would add. Test load regulation at all three available options you have for the 3.3, 5.0 and 12 volt rails. Same for AC ripple. Also for both categories along with the pass/fail a numerical value for each setting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Praz

I appreciate what you are saying but the load regulation and ripple will get worse as the load increases. I will do the extra test as you suggest because, thinking about it, I am getting failures at the higher load and it would probably be nice to know a what point the failure starts.

I have started writing my review and before I go any further is MS Word 2007 OK? If the review is deemed acceptable for posting how will it be done. My photographs will all be available at 800 x 600 resolution and reduced for inclusion in the word document.

Regards

Paul

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

(Internet lingo the new generation uses - quite well I might add - aka internet acronyms)

BB script is basically Bulletin Board code used on website forums such as DIY-Street that use vbulletin.

Don't be afraid. BB code makes it easy to add/edit content on websites just like this.

Will the electrical safety cover things like, short circuit protect, Over voltage protection... (or just mention the features).

Is it worth mentioning about 60Hz/110Vac used in USA? (in case people are not aware).

(I am going to be busy for the next 2 months :( so may not be around the forum. Note for mods)

Being playing with my custom made load and I am not getting the expected loads. I have put this down to the resistance in the cabling, connectors, etc., when you have a load of only 0.2R it doesn't take much to increase it slightly.

I have replaced the screwed terminal block with some heavy duty screw terminal block and used some crimped connectors. Picture here:

psuload06kf0.th.jpg

I have reduced the resistance in the circuit slightly the rest I am just going to have to live with. Looks a bit neater as well.

I am now happy with the load and I'll get back to the power supply review.

Regards

Paul