Project: RAD GT -- Custom Acrylic Case Worklog

I find professional solids modeling so much better than Google Sketchup :D

Go for building your own acrylic case, it's fun; don't forget to post a worklog :P

You have me thinking about it radodrill!!!! What tools are required in order to do the work with the acrylic? Also, I have no idea what I would need to make. I can make a box, but is there a place that I could get some templates to cut holes for pci slots, and the drive bays etc.?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have me thinking about it radodrill!!!! What tools are required in order to do the work with the acrylic? Also, I have no idea what I would need to make. I can make a box, but is there a place that I could get some templates to cut holes for pci slots, and the drive bays etc.?

I used the ATX specsheet to get the placement of the holes for the standoffs and lateral placement of the center of the PCI slots, then took some measurements off my old case to figure out the length of the slots. Mounting hole locations for the PSU are also in the ATX standard.

I've primarily been using a dremel, jigsaw, drill, palm sander (various grits of paper up to 1500, and a bench grinder with cloth buffing wheel. For the slots I used a router with edge-guide; and for rounding the outside edges I used my router table.

Mounted and sleeved the fans for the front RAD

Watercooling11.jpg

Installed some of the tubing

Watercooling12.jpg

Re-installed the drive bays; decided to go with frosted sides on the drive bays

Watercooling13.jpg

Shot from the front to better show the run of tubing

Watercooling14.jpg

Also tidied up the cabling for the front panel switches

Cabling4.jpg

2 shots to give an idea how some of the lighting will look

Case12.jpg

Case13.jpg

Sponsors:

DangerDen.jpg A_C_Ryan.jpg PTS.jpg

Quality work man, just awesome! I just remembered I have an Aspire X-Alien case in storage, it was my very first case that I purchased. Your work just inspired me to do some modding work on it. What is the exact dimensions of your case, H x W x L?

Quality work man, just awesome! I just remembered I have an Aspire X-Alien case in storage, it was my very first case that I purchased. Your work just inspired me to do some modding work on it. What is the exact dimensions of your case, H x W x L?

Case without feet is 60x30x55cm.

Yeah; go on and mod that sucker, just be sure to post some pics.

proper class radodrill,

i love the way uve setup the fill & drain. what a perfect place for the inlet, just off the top of the rad. very smooth.

so u dont seem far off finishing now, then u'll be ready to start my custom case ;) , i hope ure as good with metals as plastics :)

regards

proper class radodrill,

i love the way uve setup the fill & drain. what a perfect place for the inlet, just off the top of the rad. very smooth.

so u dont seem far off finishing now, then u'll be ready to start my custom case ;) , i hope ure as good with metals as plastics :)

regards

Thanks; got a fill-port res on it's way to put in there as well.

Yep; almost done, all I need is the hardware.