Just got up to 3 gigs with Opteron 165 I think these new stepping all of them will go to 3 gigs. Its idles at 38 to 40 degrees I wander if I just take Off the IHS if I can get by without buying a better Heat Sink. If you got 99 dollars and still have socket 939 with a single core cpu I would without get one of these. At these speeds I see a nice improvement to gamespeed especially games that support dual core. LIke supreme Commander

I'm using an Aftermarket HeatSink. It a ThermalRight XP-90, I'm not sure if it will work with a cpu with the IHS taken off. I have not gotten 3.0 gigs stable in prime 95 yet, I messed up my Bios in the proccess. I need to get my cpu cooler before i would be able to run 3gigs stable. I think thats whats causing it to get unstable because when I run prime 95 it gets too hot to handle the instructions or proccesses. :)

mind if i ask what vCore and temp program you're using? I've got 2.7ghz using 1.43v, and the temps are crazy under load - 40 with MBM, avg 52 with Coretemp. NOt sure which is more accurate, or if i can lower my vCore a lil to drop temps and stil be stable.

I'm at 2.7ghz, stock volts, stock cooling, averaging 50-52 under full load with coretemp (which is more accurate I believe, thats why there is a coretemp plug in for MBM5). I know this chip is more than capable of 2.8+, but I doubt stock air will cut it at those speeds, and I'm not sure if my motherboard can handle the FSB speeds either (yeah yeah its a LP UT, they can do anything right?). If it can't I happen to have an Epox board that might be able to go higher. BTW, I'm waiting for the thermalright Ultima 90 as an upgrade to cooling, else I'm just going to drop the $30 on an thermalright Ultra-90 with two panfalo fans and say the heck with waiting.

I can run 2.7 stable at mostly auto settings and 166 divider. 31C Idle and 45-46C Load with Big Typhoon. I am going to try Ultra 120 Extreme and maybe lap it. Maybe lapping BT would help but I need another HSF for my collection. I can go to 2.8 easily with 1.4v (not stable) but 52-54C Load so I need to do some cooling. I refuse to run over 50C, just the way I am.

I won't watch Rosie O'Donnell and I won't run my CPU over 50C.:)

Really I am quite happy with 2.7 at stock settings. Anything else is gravy.

Cheezwiz, I read mixed reviews on removing IHS. My read is that it can make a big difference with water, but can be marginal with air. I have no personal experience. You are running scary hot IMO. Maybe an Ultra 120 is in your future.

14861.png

Those Ultra 120's look good. I have regular BT not VX. 6+ C would do it for me if I can believe the test from Anandtech.

I'm at 2.7ghz, stock volts, stock cooling, averaging 50-52 under full load with coretemp (which is more accurate I believe, thats why there is a coretemp plug in for MBM5).

Interesting plugin...I never knew about that one. Did you get it to work properly? I followed the directions on the Coretemp plugin page but get a "Detected processor does not support DTS reporting. Plugin failed to initialize" error. Same Processor, same bios, so any help you could give would be appreciated.

@syngensmyth: Did they happen to post thier ambients and reletive humidity for those test? I wonder if they were consistant. I myself don't really trust most reviews. It seems many of them have a tendency to omit important info. Or simply don't have the equipment for proper testing. And some of them are paid to fudge data.

Still in all of the Big Air Sink reviews I've read they put the TR Ultra 120 at the top of the heap.(Or there abouts) In terms of cooling vs noise.(fannage)

Concerning water: About all I'm gonna' say there is avoid kits.(Like the plague) Big air is better than most kits. (Like 95% of them. Most kits are pretty. But don't work worth a hoot. Some are just plain flat dangerious. Many are propertiery and upgrade parts are high dollar.Then you have to toss them anyway And start over because they just won't pull the gear.And they got your money. If you want water please take the time to study it. You'll be glad you did. (Saves money,time,grey-hair.computer parts,adinfinitem)

IHS removal: Just a few things about that in case ya's didn't allready know.

1#. Don't cut too deep.

2#. Careful of the pins.

3#. Be sure you have a good solid progressive adjustible mounting system for your heatsink or block. Most stock heatsink mounting schemes won't work when the IHS is removed. (No spring-tension,mounting- preasure)Snap on stuff is bad in that many attach from one side first then must load on that edge until the seconed side snaps in. That can crush the core from the first edge as that is where all the leverage is being applied.

@syngensmyth: Did they happen to post thier ambients and reletive humidity for those test? I wonder if they were consistant. I myself don't really trust most reviews.

Dang, I knew someone would ask where that came from. I lost track of it and was too lazy to look for the link. But I agree, most of the reviewers like the 120. I love the Big Typhoon, it is the quietest of any I have used, but I'm always looking over the fence at that grass ... it looks so green:)

It was not such a big deal in the past, just unclip and install a new HS. Now you have to take the motherboard out and bolt the darn things on. I'd like to get it right the first time.:eek2:

@syngensmyth: Did they happen to post thier ambients and reletive humidity for those test? I wonder if they were consistant. I myself don't really trust most reviews.

Dang, I knew someone would ask where that came from. I lost track of it and was too lazy to look for the link. But I agree, most of the reviewers like the 120. I love the Big Typhoon, it is the quietest of any I have used, but I'm always looking over the fence at that grass ... it looks so green:)

It was not such a big deal in the past, just unclip and install a new HS. Now you have to take the motherboard out and bolt the darn things on. I'd like to get it right the first time.:eek2: