Will cooling down a computer make it faster?

Hotshot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I debated this for a little while earlier.

If a system is running and properly cooled, will making it colder run faster? Would games run faster? My argument was simple that computer use contents speeds and as long as it is running fine 9not overheating), making it cooler won't make it faster…

Comments?

The only way to make your computer go faster is to turn the components into superconducting materials by getting it down to 0 degrees Kelvin. Let us know how it goes, ;)

The only way to make your computer go faster is to turn the components into superconducting materials by getting it down to 0 degrees Kelvin. Let us know how it goes, ;)

it still wouldn't make it go FASTER

it would just be superconducted (the hardware has to be told how fast to go, it isn't temperature-induced)

(that's for any nerds who will crash in claiming the same thing but with lots of chest-thumping like you just graduated from MIT)

transistors aren't really a 'resist' type of item, they are generally 'gates' that are on/off or open/shut, 1/0, etc. I suppose they could be resistors as they can resist a signal/current flowing through it, but resistors are more like power transformers that resist higher voltages or crossovers for audio that resist certain frequencies of sound.

superconducting them wouldn't normally negate a transistor's ability to open/close (however since superconductivity is prohibitively expensive, very few anythings get tested unless it is NASA or military or something like Stanford sci labs)

transistors do tend to leak/bleed (voltage, not goo like power capacitors lol) at extremely small sizes with extremely high counts, which is a major pitfall when you have say 500 million of them in an ATI gpu at 90nm...shrink it to 65nm you not only get less power consumption but you get less leakage, but then you face other problems that come with die shrink

I'm not a microprocessor engineer, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express

If it's in a sticky no one would see it anyway. Just kidding.

What is with AnUnknownSource and his vendetta against stickies? Were you frightened by a sticky as a youth?

He He! :)