Will cooling down a computer make it faster?

Hotshot

I debated this for a little while earlier.

If a system is running and properly cooled, will making it colder run faster? Would games run faster? My argument was simple that computer use contents speeds and as long as it is running fine 9not overheating), making it cooler won't make it faster…

Comments?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improved cooling will make a system capable of going faster while retaining stability. You would have to adjust it somehow to increase the speed.

Cooling will however make a current setup more stable. Cooling in itself will not increase speed.

You could say the same thing about larger PSU's.

I debated this for a little while earlier.

If a system is running and properly cooled, will making it colder run faster? Would games run faster? My argument was simple that computer use contents speeds and as long as it is running fine 9not overheating), making it cooler won't make it faster…

Comments?

no

it will not make it run faster

only altering the system's speed (if overclocking options are available, as well as non-overclocking tweak options like tightening the memory timings etc) will make it run faster.

that was my argument.... As long as the system is as cool enough to not crash being cooler wont help unless you change your actual settings (I said bus speed).

I felt really stupid posting this question but I had two people telling me a colder computer makes it faster with . One of them had OC'ed, so I decided to give him the benefit of doubt and post here.

You see when you deal with people of "lesser brain power"...I find it easier to just smack'em around a little until they stop talking. Though it does take quite a bit of smacking sometimes:tooth:

Last guy I talked to about computers that wasn't from here, said "Wow, that's a lot of memory". I had told him that I had about 1TB of storage between all my rigs... I try not to even bring PCs up when I am not on DIY-Street.

that was my argument.... As long as the system is as cool enough to not crash being cooler wont help unless you change your actual settings (I said bus speed).

I felt really stupid posting this question but I had two people telling me a colder computer makes it faster with . One of them had OC'ed, so I decided to give him the benefit of doubt and post here.

if you don't ask/research for yourself, you might end up listening to a bunch of nonsense and believing it is true. that goes for more than just computer discussions....it covers just about everything in life that has questions/answers...

Ask as many stupid questions as you like :tooth: as long as it's not already in a sticky!

ugh that Angry dude is worse than a nazi about that stuff (would he be a 'sub-nazi' then?)

hopefully he hardly reads the off topic section (too busy patrolling other sections looking to gestapo someone)