Which basic Laptop?

stringerB

My inlaws, who have never booted a computer in their lives, want a laptop notebook to accompany them on their travels. It's basic use would be internet surfing and email, possibly pictures, small games, and whatever basic retired folks do with a basic laptop. Basically.

I know almost zilch about which brands make a decent, reliable notebook. I was told that budget is 800$ to a grand. I would prefer not to have to break it open upon arrival just to add memory (Vista?). And I would prefer to order from the Egg, although I might have to send them to CCity or WorstBuy just for their local warranty as they are 3 hrs away.

Any help from the laptop experts will lessen my headaches later on.

Thanks!

Go with Dell. I love mine (see specifications in signature).

You can probably get an E1405 or E1505 with a Core 2 Duo and 1-2GB of RAM with an upgraded warranty for $8-900.

If it's an option on the laptop I'd go with Windows XP Professional... but that's just me and it's really personal preference.

BTW where in NM are you? I've got family in Los Alamos (my grandfather works/worked at the LANL).

I will keep those two models in mind, and need to call and get some more details and specifications. I havent heard of any folks not happy with a Dell, although I dislike working on them with all of the bloatware that Dell insists on installing before shipment.

Yeah, before doing anything be sure to do a fresh install of Windows...

on the new dells, they arent giving a windows cd anymore, at least not with my roommates e521 desktop, Can I pull his windows cd key and then doa fresh install using my windows cd and just type in his cdkey whent he screen prompts it? I was afraid to try this since if it doesnt work he is screwed

Last time I was re-installing with a Dell, you used the "Recovery" cd if I'm not mistaken about which cd it was. It should have the windows image on it.

HP Laptops are nice as well. A friend of mine has one and it's been running solid for a few years now and he does some gaming on it. I kinda figured it would have died with how much he uses it, but it's still going great.

I always recommend Dell laptops

the first thing I do is wipe them and reload them without bloatware.

the best thing to do if you are very savvy (heh like we are!) is to order it from Dell and make sure it comes with Windows XP Home, and instruct Dell to NOT load the OS to the laptop (they can't refuse).

This way you are guaranteed a blank laptop and a true OEM XP disk, and you do the loading yourself (Dell is probably the best at showing what hardware is in your machine that you order from them, so it's easy to get all the drivers)

Or just demand an XP OEM disk and let them load their bloated crap and wipe it immediately upon receipt

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a Dell 1520 today, w/C2D T5250, 2GB DDR2 @ 667, and an 80gb HD for right at a grand plus tax. I am having it shipped here so I can decrap it and add AV and spyware programs. Since it will only be used for web surfing and email, I didnt make an issue about Vista, and just hope the outlaws can figure it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions!