Techstation on the Cheap ;)

I like the clear plexi (or lexan, etc) under the drives. I take it that it not only insulates the PCB from contact with the metal cage, but probaby also helps to shim them into place and keep them from moving?

I love the horizontal bar for the PCI card brackets :beer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking of building me a tech station. But I want to do it cheap. I was thinking of using HDPE. I was thinking of going to Sam's Club and picking up a couple HDPE cutting boards, cutting them up, and making me a station.

Also doc, what is the specs on your station? Thats a sweet design. It would be pretty simple to draw that up on CAD and throw it online for others to use.

well it's 14inches x 16inches....for the platforms

The the space in between the platforms is....10 inches from very bottom to very top...so the corner channels are cut 10inches...

the back rails are 4 3/4's longer to make room for the bar that holds the add in card...

Now your specs maybe different as I used double stand-offs on the board...I did this so i wouldnt have to cut a channel for the tab to set it...it rest on the platform....

that puts the board approx. 1/2in off the tray.....

I did get a single radiator mounted and a fan on 1 side and man is that bugger LOUD...but I put it on the 7v rail and that helped...so now I can add the other fan as A_G suggested and get water on this thing...

I have to get a AM2 water block and then I am good to go...

I have to tell you....I built this thing just because of this thread and the people who posted here...The more I use this thing the more I like it...In fact I am going to whip up another one exactly the same as this one doesnt need much improvement...it is very functional and fits the form I was looking for...

Thanks to all of you for some inspiration...;)

Hey guys, wanted to put these out there if anyone needs a diagram of the various form factors for their test bed. Could be useful for lining u those holes without bringing your $150-$200 motherboard into your wood shop, lol

ATX V2.2

mATX V1.2

These came from http://www.formfactors.org/ and if you're designing a case, or looking for a list of standard specs, check it out!