Techstation on the Cheap ;)

I bet one of those heavy duty nylon cutting boards would work great for the 2 big flat surfaces...me tinks me's gonna have to make one :)

thats the kind of stuff i have, you can buy it in big pieces at store like lowe's home depot, etc.....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been meaning to make one of these for some time. i decided on this thick hard plastic material instead of wood but thats as fas as i have gotten. looks good though
That's what the original ones use, but IDK where to get anything like that, at least until momoceio posted below yours.

I've have a couple of HD cages laying around if you want one of them.

They hold 3 HD's or 2 + a floppy.

I think I'm just going to stack everything on the lower shelf for now. I don't really plan on carrying anything around on this, but I did spring for the nylon nuts to secure the mobo to the nylon screws if I decide to.

I use a 3-bay cage pulled from a Lian-Li.

BTW - those aren't worth $80, they're made pretty cheaply. :)

I think you're paying mostly for the idea and the lack of competition in the market.

I bet one of those heavy duty nylon cutting boards would work great for the 2 big flat surfaces...me tinks me's gonna have to make one :)

That's a great idea. Make sure you post some pics, OK?

In fact, if any of you other guys have a setup similar to this, go ahead and post what you've got. Maybe we can start a trend here of the DIY Street TechStation Modders Club. :beer

thats the kind of stuff i have, you can buy it in big pieces at store like lowe's home depot, etc....

I bent some scrap sheet metal I had in the brake. Glued some padding on the rails from the same material I used on the base.

I can post a few more pics if you want but I didn't want to be cluttering up your thread.

drive.jpg

I bent some scrap sheet metal I had in the brake. Glued some padding on the rails from the same material I used on the base.

I can post a few more pics if you want but I didn't want to be cluttering up your thread.

drive.jpg

I would like to see more pics! Looks interesting!

drive.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome. Puts mine to shame for sure. One thing I noticed though - does yours have any feet on it? You can pick up a pack of four rubber bumpers for a few $$. But yeah, go ahead and post your pics, and if you don't mind, go ahead and give a quick list of the materials you used.

Edit: Oh, and I do have access to a brake, but it requires me going back to my last job. That's something I won't do ATM... :(

I have some feet for it like you mentioned but I'm not really happy with them. Still looking for something else.

The list of materials:

3/4" Steel Square

Melamine Shelving

Socket Head Cap Screws

Bolts

24 Gauge Sheet Metal

#8 Wood Screws

6-32 Screws And Studs - Nylon and steel

Aluminum Thumb Screws

Knurled Brass Nuts

Fiber Washers

Angle Brackets

Commercial Drawer Liner

Plastic End Caps

Vinyl Composite Decking

1/8" steel plate

5/8" Nylon Circuit Board Standoffs

I believe that is the complete list of materials. The 3/4" tubing are pieces from chair legs. Using the tubing presented the problem of no way to fasten it because of being hollow. What I finally did was cut some pieces of 1/8" steel plate to fit inside. They were recessed in the ends, tacked in place with the mig, drilled and tapped.

The top and bottom is Melamine shelving I had left over from another project. All that was needed was to cut it to size and reband the edges.

The cross bar for the cards is a piece of composite decking ripped down.

I reamed the standoffs and tapped them to 6/32. One end has studs to secure them to the Melamine. 4 of them have nylon studs on the other end to secure the motherboard in place using the fiber washers and knurled nuts. The board just sits on the remaining standoffs.

The way it is set up I can use it with air, water or phase cooling. I probably have somewhere around $15.00 invested but way to much time.

front.jpg

back.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

Here is the ultimate test bench. Victor Wang made this one. Vic has already said that he would make one for me but I'm trying to get him to make some changes.

11788499690rc5.jpg

Edit: I don't know why his pic is saying 940x800. On his site it is 600x511. I'll fix the size tonight when I get home.

I have some feet for it like you mentioned but I'm not really happy with them. Still looking for something else.

The list of materials:

I love that thing but it wouldn't survive a minute with my 17 months old son which is very curious what his dad is doing and needs to touch everything! I had to disconnect the power on button on my stacker because he would put an end to my gaming turning the rig off all the time. God thanks for the mobo on button! :)

Praz, that is one heck of a build there. Did you notice the dual R600's in Vic's station?

I had to disconnect the power on button on my stacker because he would put an end to my gaming turning the rig off all the time. God thanks for the mobo on button! :)

I had that problem before with my little ones. I ended up using the keyboard power on feature since the case was closed up under the desk. Originally it was set to any 2 keys, but that got figured out and was pushed too often, so I think I had to put in a password. Now my Lian Li has a door on it and I can hear them trying to get in it before they shut it off on me.