Really Slow Booting...

Iggy

I just started having this weird boot slowdown that causes the pc to take a minute or two loading the winxp logon screen. I can get into windows, but everything runs insufferably slow, and when I open the task manager, it says the CPU usage is at 100%. It's erratic too: I booted up my machine yesterday, it crashed, and then I booted up again and it was lagging. I put some more voltage into the CPU, and it helped, but now it's back at it again. It will finally stop lagging after five minutes in windows. I've only got a 350 watt PSU, and I'm running 2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 5 fans, 2 cold cathodes, a power-hungry video card, and the mobo. I'm thinking it might be the psu, since the problem is inconsistent, but I'd like to hear from you guys before I go chain my parents old 90 watt into my sytem. Thanks.

Problems like that are not usually power supply related....a few questions:

1) do you have a virus scan software...I had this same problem, and it ended up being 4 trojans :(

2) check the process viewer and see what the 100% usage consists of, which ties into

3) do you have a lot of programs in your startup?

*EDIT*

:bah::repost: you posted right when i was typing :(

Edited by howie b

Ok, well, for good measure, I wired up the second psu, and it fixed it. I'll run a virus scan though, just in case. Now I have a total of 440 watts, but I haven't stuck my 120mm fan in yet.

EDIT: Ok, it just did it again. I booted into safe mode, closed all the processes until norton forced me to restart, and now its fine again. Hmm...<_<

Edited by Iggy

Yeah, spybot is a great program. I noticed some of my games were running slower than usual, so I ran spybot, and 30 trojans/spywarez later my performance increased drastically.

Highly recommended (even over ad-aware)