2900XT can't take the top spot

I don't believe it has much to do with flaming. I'd buy two 1GB 2900 cards today if the performance was there. But the fact of the matter is on the top end ATI is a distant second.

Well the performance is there in the benchmarks:

www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=513445

Except in AquaMark that is faster than any 8800GTX I have modded using the 90 series drivers.

The 2900's drivers do need some serious tuning for games and with AA but it took nVidia a few months to get that

done with the 8800's as well. Hmmm - well if AG has his say the drivers still do not work right with his 8800GTS lol.

Viper

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viper

A bit off topic but what is the most voltage you have run through the gpu on a x1900 card with a hard voltmod?.

I only hard modded one 1900. It was ViperVenom cooled and the customer was going to run that cooler

on chilled water. I tested it the card here on straight water and it went out of here at 1.495 loaded Vcore.

Do not know what the customer tacked on to that with chilled water.

Viper

With the voltage maxed out in ATITool I'm not seeing over 46C. But it's going to take more for the top hardware spots at HWBot. :)

With the voltage maxed out in ATITool I'm not seeing over 46C. But it's going to take more for the top hardware spots at HWBot. :)

The hard mod will only give you about another .100 Vcore or so over the max you can get using ATItool

and you still have to use ATItool when hard modded.

The hard Vcore mod only shelves the Vcore up by .100-.130 above a given ATItool Vcore setting. Anymore

than that and the Vcore PS will shutdown on OVP at the given software Vcore setting.

You can try a hard mod but I doubt you will see any tangible OC gain and maybe even an OC loss at that

core temp. With most R580 core's as you go pass 1.425 Vcore in the 40C's internal current leakage in the

core gets so high you just hit smack against a Vcore wall. Any core OC that might be gained from higher

Vcore is just taken right back by the higher internal current leakage and the localized core heating that

goes with it.

Do max out the other Vcore voltage (VDDCI I think) at 1.575 and leave the Vddq stock or close to it. GDR3

and GDR4 chips typically do not like the Vddq leaned on at all.

Viper

The 46C was with the stock cooler. I watercooled it the other night. I don't know how much it brought temps down but it did scale better. VDDCI is maxed. I may try to bump it up a bit hard modded also. Both memory voltages are close to stock. I only need about 300 more points for 01. I can pick up some with processor speed. Not bad for a last generation graphics card.

3d01_0605.jpg

4.4ghz not bad :P

It does pretty good for a 6700. I can get a little more out of it or drop in my 6800 which clocks a lot better. But looking at the top two score that speed should be plenty if I can get a little more out of the x1900.