2900XT can't take the top spot

I've had so many problems getting consistent results in benching CoD2 that I finally removed it from my benchmarking.

VJ: I assume ME-II = Windows Millenium II? lol

interesting that you can install the latest DX9 into Vista...I might have to try that on my test Vista rig (E6400, 2GB RAM, X1900XT)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had so many problems getting consistent results in benching CoD2 that I finally removed it from my benchmarking.

VJ: I assume ME-II = Windows Millenium II? lol

interesting that you can install the latest DX9 into Vista...I might have to try that on my test Vista rig (E6400, 2GB

RAM, X1900XT)

Yep Vista = ME-II = Windows Millenium II. I didn't coin it though. I called Vista, Shitsta before I saw it called ME-II

somewhere else. It fit IMO and I don't have problems with swear filters using it either lol.

Heck I couldn't even get some of the 3DMark benchmarks to install without putting real DX9 (February Release) on

ME-II first lol. After the install DX test will still show DX10 as the revision installed.

I have received several reports where installing real DX9 has eliminated several DX9 game issues when running them

on ME-II. Can't confirm that though since I do not game that much (to old and to slow lol) and when I do it is on XP

not ME-II. ME-II for me is just card test only. That is rare but I still have to be prepared lol.

Viper

Guest element
Wanna see what a 2900XT can do in the real world

Viper

Not trying to start a huge spat but how can that be real world when a 1gb 2900 XT is impossible, (at least with my limited info last i heard) to get retail let alone the GDDR4 model? :confused: :confused:

Not trying to start a huge spat but how can that be real world when a 1gb 2900 XT is impossible, (at least with my limited info last i heard) to get retail let alone the GDDR4 model? :confused: :confused:

Hmmm not sure where you are getting your info but the 2900XT 1Gb GDR4 OEM cards have been shown all

over the web for months. They are the ones with the 13 1/2" long coolers including the handle on the end. A

retail version of that card will be hitting the streets in a few weeks. It is the same card/PCB as the OEM's but

uses the smaller GPU cooler like the 2900XT 512 cards.

Viper

Guest element

Oh ok i was under the impression that those weren't for release. ( In NZ we can only get a hold of the 512 model.)

VJ is the one man who knows his ATI products probably better than some (if not a lot) of the ATI guys themselves ;)

gonna check that 8800 post as I've only got an 8800GTS 320MB (clocked to 625/something...1900 i think) and it is more than enough for my 1440x900 widescreen, but Rainbow Six: Vegas (Unreal3 engine) can make it come to a crawl with everything turned all the way up (Core2 3Ghz, 2GB RAM)

Vista sucks at the moment, but once it's matured in a couple years with good drivers and service packs, you won't want to go back to xp. What I really hate about Vista is the extremely annoying UAC crap, every time I do anything the screen has to flash and ask to allow or deny, thankfully you can disable that.

I really want a good excuse for my next videocard to be AMD. The Nvidia drivers drive me crazy and I don't mean just the vista ones.

My main issues are with the flat panel scaling, my screen is 1920x1080p and if I want to run lower res things I want it to display it 1:1 no scaling, so I set it to centered output. The problem is it will do It but run at 1920x1080i, but I got it to go 1080p by tricking it. It had something to do with using vga and switching back to dvi.

In vista my problem was it would run 1080i all the time, I tricked that by using vga and booting back in with dvi then set the refresh rate to 60 instead of 30, that only worked once but then I tried plugging it into the 2nd dvi port and now it works again :confused:.

I've had other nightmares with nvidia drivers too with color profiles which I haven't solved. Brightness randomly changing etc.

I don't think the r600 65nm is going to help enough, even if it's enough to beat the G80 victory not last long with the G92 coming within a few months of it.

eventually, just like with 98 and XP, the drivers will catch up. Just like in XP, we'll classy lady about them until they do lol.

I also think this is simply one of those times when Intel and Nvidia are on top for a while and AMD and ATI (now just AMD, one company) are in second place. Give it a year or maybe 3 or even 5 and we'll be back to where we were 18 months ago, with ATI on top (X1900XT) and AMD on top (X2 AMD64).

it's a cycle. patience is hard when you have money burning a hole in your pocket and a gaming/burning/ripping/editing jonez that needs to be satiated.

http://www.techspot.com/review/52-asus-radeon-hd-2900xt/ nice link...beats the GTX in 3DM06, but not in most games, therefore in just about all games tested its ahead of the GTS640

What's interesting is that depending on the review site I go to, it either does great or it sinks like a lead balloon. It would be interesting to find out whether this is drivers, bad test sample, observer bias, etc.