possible case configuration

See any dead spots for air flow.I have a case that will be modified to look like this pic.It is huge.Pic is without the front bezel.Fans will be 2x140mm(top) 3x120mm(bottom/front) 3x80mm(everywhere else)

Thoughts?case.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you use to design that?

What are the dimensions on this case? Are you planning on using the 140mm fans that fit 120mm fan holes?

I would just get rid of the 80mm fans and stick with big ones, might as well do 140mm all around.

Check out the MozartTX, that should give you an idea of what I feel is perfect airflow.

3cb7cee4.jpg

3x 120mm fans blowing right across the mobo

DSCF2711.jpg

Check out the back of this thing, can you fit 2x 120mm across the back? If not can they fit up and down?

I would also get rid of the fans on the bottom, they're just bound to get clogged up with crap, and might be a pain to get to when it's time to clean them.

I've never noticed much of a difference from blow holes, the rear exhausts should be plenty, especially if you could manage to fit 2 of those 140mm fans there.

So to summarize,

Front;

1x 140mm fan across from the PSU

1x 140mm fan in front of the drive cage, spin the drives 90 degrees, so the fan can blow between them.

2x 140mm fans blowing across the mobo

Rear;

1x 140mm fan next to the I/O panel

2x 140mm fans in place of the 2x 80mm fans

modeled in Wings3d a free box modeling program very easy to use if you have a brain you can use it :).Normally I use Cinema4D, thats what this box will be used for only.

As far as the dimensions go it is 24.5 tall 17.0 deep 7.5 wide

If I move the power supply to the top I can get a 120 in it's place.Bottom front I can get 2 120's easy.Was also thinking about Lian-li's 4 in three hd bay that has a 120 in it the I can get the hd's out of the bottom of the case altogether. Then the only thing down there would be the MB.I'm looking for the optimal placement of fans for this case.

Oh I didn't realize you were this far into the project already.

I would just stick as many 120's or 140's as possible in front and back, bottom and top won't make that much of a difference. A side panel intake across from the RAM / CPU would have more of an impact, in my opinion.

This case is proving to be a pita.It just is not wide enough to stick the fans that I would like to have in it.I like that MozartTX nice and wide.

How difficult would it be to rape a cheap case of it's MB tray and back plane then mod it to a wooden case?I've got loads of tools to do wood working with.

Depends on which case you want to take it from. Obviously a case with a removable mobo tray would be easiest. I have also seen cases where the tray is set off the rest of the frame by standoffs like the ThermalTake Tsunami Dream. Then you just have to cut them off and voila there's your tray.

Some Acrylic cases don't even have a mobo tray just extra long standoffs. What about joining two identical cases side by side for a cube design, or even making your own from scratch? I'd imagine if you got the right tools and lots of patience it wouldn't be too hard.

hmmm I do have 2 identical cases in the basement.Both together would almost make a cube.Good idea why didn't I think of that before.may have to post some pics of them.Whoop off to the basement.

I'm in the middle of a dual case mod. One thing I don't have is a removable MB tray. Oh well, I'll work around that for now. There are replacement MB trays but I'm trying to work with what pieces and parts I got.

Two is better than one.

casemodkl6.jpg

casemod1su0.jpg

I'm a little to impatient. During a test fit, I decide to set it up and see how it all works. Still have some more work to do but at least I don't have a Res and 240 Rad sit'n on top of the case. This definitely gave me more room but I need to work on the air flow (heats up with case doors on).

Looking cool so far.Got a bit of metal work already done huh.

What will it be covered in .Going to use 2 power supplies?

I was thinking about either a thick sheet(1/4 in or a little less) aluminum or thin stainless or 3/4 in oak plywood for my exterior.