Water Cooling Woes

red930

I'm back :)

It's my birthday tomorrow :beer

I just got my X2 3800+. It seems to have great potential: 2.7GHz on 1.38v. only thing holding me back is temperatures (58C average). So, since I planned on replacing my dinky Freezer Pro 64 with something along the likes of a Tuniq, I thought I should go all out and pick up a decent but cheap water cooling system.

I am a complete noob to this and would appreciate recommendations. I am not looking to customize my kit or anything but will accept you guys' recs (on customization)... I'd like something that cools efficiently while not making a big mess; so, preferably, external. Things I've seen on Newegg:

Corsair Nautilus 500:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835181004

I've seen THunda and Angry's reviews of this thing.... I like what I see.

Swiftech Kit:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835108075

With an Apogee GT block, I believe.

Koolance Exos LT:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835127021

I'm intrigued by this... I like this above all. I need to add a block, though, for it; probably an Apogee (still open to recs here).

Anything wrong with any of these? I know that a lot of you probably customized your kits, but, as I've said, I'm looking for something no-frills. Plus, I'm in a mid-tower case ($15), so I have limited room. I can take out two of the hard drive holder thingies, though, to make room for things if necessary. But I doubt I'll have room for much.

Thanks for everything!

I also am fairly new to the water cooling world but I bought this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835108076

And I love it!! Idle my 5200 is at 29c and under full load running dual prime I have topped out at 41c. I have been able to take it to 1.5v and my idle temp was only up to 35c. The one draw back I have noticed though when I switched to water and lost all of the fans my chipset temps are running alot hotter, especially under load. I am thinking of upgrading to water on them also or strategically placing an 80mm fan to blow on them..

go the swiftech(nice and compact looking little kit) but if you want to do it right you'll have to mod the case in some way might be minor(tubing holes etc) or major (radator mounted at the top )but to do it cheaper keep an eye on the forum for sales and sleaze bay youcan pick up really good kit for a good price.

Would the Swiftech last me a decent amount of time? I plan on using this 939 box for at least another year to year and a half, as I built it only last year.

My case has a 120mm fan in the back, I plan on taking it out and mounting the rad (externally) there.

I was looking at Petra's $218 kit with an Apogee GT and an MCP-655 (D5) pump, but I don't know if I should. Its bigger rad poses a problem, as does the increased size of the pump. I'll probably stick with the smaller Swiftech kit.

Any word on how well the MCP-350 performs? Is there a massive performance increase with the usage of 1/2" tubing (over 3/8")? And a dual rad?

Thanks for all of your replies!

the kit will last a long time if you put the right chemicals in and don't mix metals

i,ve got the apogee and a storm block apon many others and the apogee is great i mean a few degrees diff but really thats just a hot day. the dual rad will make the biggest diff to the temps so get it if you can. the flow rate is dictated not by tubing size alone but by the barb/inlet/outlet on your components, oh and the pump, lenght of tubing,height(pump on the case floor and the radiator on the top) etc etc etc

The Koolance products are junk.

I personally don't like the idea of a combined pump/res unit.

If you really want an external unit then I'd go with the corsair. The $218 kit from petras is quite good; I just installed one in a Coolermaster Centurion 5 and it worked quite well. Keep in mind, the MB area is that most of the H2O sys occupies; you could mount the rad on the back and then you'd just have to find a good place for the pump.

I personally don't link the idea on 1/4" ID tubing. That's why I'd never use them of Thermaltake WC products.

I say it would last you at least a few years. I think you'd probably get the upgrade bug before the parts ever went bad (if they would???) and get some even better gear.

Thanks, guys.

One thing I'd like to know is if there's enough clearance in the back with a dual rad for me to plug in my DVI connection. I calculated that if I place my X1900 in my lower slot, I'll barely have enough room, but I'd just like to know, since I don't know the spacing of these rads.

Looks like I'll get the Petra's if my dad allows :)

Thanks a lot. Off to my birthday celebrations!

i honestly would not mix parts from different companies unless you know its all the same material

either stick with swiftech or dangerden

for a single loop 120.1

swiftech has a nice kit. get a DDC pump with an apogee and your good.

i remember when i still played with my expert and sli-dr

my loop got me 23-25 idle. and a 35 load.

you can also put the rad inside your front or back depending how you want it.

in the front. chop off the HDD rack. relocate HDDs into the 5" bays and run that way.

One thing I'd like to know is if there's enough clearance in the back with a dual rad for me to plug in my DVI connection. I calculated that if I place my X1900 in my lower slot, I'll barely have enough room, but I'd just like to know, since I don't know the spacing of these rads.

I used to have a Hardware Labs Black Ice GT in the back of my system. I had the rad connected to a CoolingWorks CoolShroud, then to a 120mm fan outside of the case. This was long enough for me to use my DVI adaptor to plug my analog monitor into my Radeon with DVI only outputs. If you use the RadBox on the outside of the case (as it's meant to be installed), connected to a 120mm fan, then connect the 120mm fan to the rad, you should be all right. if you are concerned about how the barbs would work out, there are lots of different ways to hook it all together. Actually, Swiftech recommends putting the rad upright or on its side to allow air to escape (the MCP rads like the one I have and the one in the kit IIRC, are self-purging).

If you need some more advice on how to position it, let us know. Some pics (or at least links) of your case, etc, would be a great help to us.

Enjoy your birthday... :beer ;)

I used to have a Hardware Labs Black Ice GT in the back of my system. I had the rad connected to a CoolingWorks CoolShroud, then to a 120mm fan outside of the case. This was long enough for me to use my DVI adaptor to plug my analog monitor into my Radeon with DVI only outputs. If you use the RadBox on the outside of the case (as it's meant to be installed), connected to a 120mm fan, then connect the 120mm fan to the rad, you should be all right. if you are concerned about how the barbs would work out, there are lots of different ways to hook it all together. Actually, Swiftech recommends putting the rad upright or on its side to allow air to escape (the MCP rads like the one I have and the one in the kit IIRC, are self-purging).

If you need some more advice on how to position it, let us know. Some pics (or at least links) of your case, etc, would be a great help to us.

Enjoy your birthday... :beer ;)

I plan on using the Radbox.

Ooeric, I was looking at that 1.120 kit from Swiftech before I figured out that if I bought that and added an Apogee GT and an MCP655 then it would cost considerably more than Petra's $218 kit with those...

t_ski: the rear of the case

http://weboperative.com/coppermine/display...cat=10012&pos=0

and the innards

http://weboperative.com/coppermine/display...10012&pos=-1535

If it doesn't fit, I bet Swiftech's 1.120 kit will work just fine for me. I don't plan on adding a GPU waterblock till I get more cash.

Time to go get drunk! :angel: :beer