Which DVD Burner to get

Robc1880

i would get the samsung out of those three just for the sata - or else get the lite on sata version - i think its 3 dollars more :) over the ide version -

Staying IDE or switching to SATA makes no difference to me. The SATA version of the Lite-on is $3more but has $6.13 shipping too, turns out to be almost $10 more. Definitely not worth $10 if it's just switching to SATA

Staying IDE or switching to SATA makes no difference to me. The SATA version of the Lite-on is $3more but has $6.13 shipping too, turns out to be almost $10 more. Definitely not worth $10 if it's just switching to SATA

Well then since price is a concern!

Drum roll.................................

NEC

I have Two Nec's neither has ever missed a Beat

what kind of quirks are sata having compared to IDE drives ? i been using Sata drives for over a year now and i havnt had any problems with Dvds - burning them or ripping them etc. - what kind of problems would a Sata have over a IDE ?

When I was first researching my DVD purchases, it seemed that on http://club.cdfreaks.com/ the "feeling" I got was that you should go with IDE over Sata, if you have a choice.

There was no real performance increase with SATA DVD writers, even though there is a theoritical increase.

Since I do not consider myself an expert, I will just quote some of the threads that I read.

sata and ide - started 1-6-05

CD/DVD burner purchase question: SATA or IDE??? -Started 8-7-05

Is there any advantage in SATA drives over IDE ones? Started 8-27-06

SATA DVD vs IDE DVD Started 10-18-06

SATA or IDE burner? Started 11-10-06

SATA or IDE DVD-RW? Started 12-22-2006

You may be right about Sata and IDE - i been using Sata for over a year and havnt had any issues or have them work more or less than a IDE drive - so i am not saying they are better performers - maybe they are or maybe they not - it just makes me easier with the small thinner cable to plug in and looks neater in the case - also the Sata drives are a bit shorter so it dosnt stick out in the case as much as a IDE drive - but either way you go - the end result is the same i belieave - all i am saying is I havnt had any issues by using all Sata in my system - maybe others have - unless i run into a problem thats coming from me using a Sata drive - i wont ever go back to IDE if i can help it - just getting rid of that big fat long ugly IDE cable was reason enough for me to go Sata :)

but everyone is different and what ever works for you -

Now that it is morning, I can think better!

I think the general feeling I got from reading the above posts on cdfreaks was:

When the SATA or IDE drive is working correctly, there is no performance benefit or penalty for choosing SATA or IDE, either cable topology is way faster then the medium.

With older motherboards and chipsets, one MAY run into SATA DVD issues, whereas one is much less likely to run into IDE dvd issues.

A lot of newer Motherboards and chipsets are only supporting 1 or even ZERO IDE channels, so your choices are limited.

Dont have an easy answer for you!

My favorite DVD Burner is a BenQ1655 (or 1650) but BenQ was purchased by LiteOn. The newest BenQ's do not have the chipset that made the older BenQ's gain cult status.

I was able to purchase 2 more 1655's

If you can find a BenQ 1655 (Lightscribe), 1650, or 1640, buy it in a heartbeat!

Follow this thread for more info:

BenQ DVD Writer Are Vanishing

I own:

3 BenQ 1655's (at home)

1 BenQ 1620 (at Home)

2 BenQ 1640's (at Work)

1 Plextor 760A (at Work)

I hear Samsung and Pioneer are good, and LiteOn is stable too.

To read more than you ever wanted to know about DVD burners, go here

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Any links as to why the BenQ 1655 is so good compared to the others?

Should I be trying to find a rebadged model? My old NEC seems to work fine.

Any links as to why the BenQ 1655 is so good compared to the others?

Should I be trying to find a rebadged model? My old NEC seems to work fine.

I can't find it now but I bought mine because of a review I saw and it performed almost as good as a Plextor that was twice as much. In some tests it even out performed it. The review tested like 6 different burners on errors during burning/reading/writing. It's just a great burner.

thanks for all the help everyone. I decided to buy the samsung 183L. I don't care for the noise of my current NEC and wasn't looking forward to another one that could be like it. I have no need for lightscribe yet, but at least i will have that option in the future. Thanks again everyone.