Which DVD Burner to get

Robc1880

Looks like my 3540 is starting to have some trouble with writing backups (using TY discs, they work fine on wife's laptop though). They don't appear to be doing anymore firmware updates, so I am in the market again for a DVD burner.

Which of these DVD burners would you guys recommend?

Samsung SH-183L

Samsung SH-S182M/BEBE

Samsung SH-S182D/BEBE

Lite On LH-20A1H-185

NEC 7170A-0B

Asus DRW-1612BL-BK

Sony AW-Q170A-B2

Out of these models listed, which would be best? Is there any others that I should look into? Does anyone have personal experience with any of these drives? I am trying to keep it under $40 for my next burner. SATA or IDE doesn't matter to me. TIA

i just got the liteon LH20A1 Sata - i used it today first time

its not bad - burns pretty fast - price is good and comes with the Sata cable - i also got a plextor 755Sa which was returned to me from Plextor after i burned up my 716Sa model - i messed up with the firmware upgrade - and i killed it - but i didnt say anything :) so i sent back RMA and they gave me this newer model even better - once they received mines - i got the new one in two days - i put them both in my system today - i got all Sata now - finally got rid of that big IDE cable - i really like the plextor even though alot of people are saying they are not as good as they used to be - i dont know if thats true or not - but you do pay over double for the plextor -

but i think you will like the liteon - its the latest one 20x -

i just started to use it today and burned dvds only - its pretty fast with that - have to see how the Cds are - etc.

i got it at newegg - 48 dollars shipped - got in two days :)

comes with the black face installed and extra beige face and cable -

Dont have an easy answer for you!

My favorite DVD Burner is a BenQ1655 (or 1650) but BenQ was purchased by LiteOn. The newest BenQ's do not have the chipset that made the older BenQ's gain cult status.

I was able to purchase 2 more 1655's

If you can find a BenQ 1655 (Lightscribe), 1650, or 1640, buy it in a heartbeat!

Follow this thread for more info:

BenQ DVD Writer Are Vanishing

I own:

3 BenQ 1655's (at home)

1 BenQ 1620 (at Home)

2 BenQ 1640's (at Work)

1 Plextor 760A (at Work)

I hear Samsung and Pioneer are good, and LiteOn is stable too.

To read more than you ever wanted to know about DVD burners, go here

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

My Lite-on burner is nice, it's SATA and fast. Whatever you choose, get a SATA model. If for nothing else you get rid of the IDE bulky cables.

I am not an expert here, but I have read that IDE's are still prefered over SATA for DVD's.

Again, not an expert and I have no first hand experience, but Sata DVD Burners seem to have some quirks about them.

Speed is not an issue either, as and IDE bus can go way faster than the max transfer rate of an IDE DVD reader/burner.

what kind of quirks are sata having compared to IDE drives ? i been using Sata drives for over a year now and i havnt had any problems with Dvds - burning them or ripping them etc. - what kind of problems would a Sata have over a IDE ?

Thanks for all the help everyone. These are the 3 I'm trying to decide between now. I'm leaning towards the lite-on, but just can't seem to make that final decision. Out of these 3, would the Lite-On be the best bet? Hopefully one of these burners will let me get the $15 of of $30 rebate through paypal.

I'm not worried that the NEC and Lite-On are IDE drives. This is the only IDE drive in my system and I use a round cable so it doesn't take up much space, especially with the way it's routed in my case.

i would get the samsung out of those three just for the sata - or else get the lite on sata version - i think its 3 dollars more :) over the ide version - makes things easier inside the case - but you have to decide first if you want to go sata or stay ide - then you can narrow it down - its not a huge price purchase so i am sure anyone of those would work fine