S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

uneedav8

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take some guitar lessons. You might be able to lull your enimies into a false sense of security, then when they are in a peaceful state of mind, take out your shotgun and blow their heads off! :nod:

I have to admit the AI in this game carries on with a life of its own whether or not you are involved. I like that.

Jaz,, thanks for the info. Since I had only played a short time, I went ahead and reinstalled, found the digital .0004 version and went ahead with the Faiakes 2.4 mod. The game really does play better, look better and I really love shopping and looking at all those nice goodies. Havent used the CHEAT weaps or suits though only what I find or am given.

Anyway happy days.... going back to see about Lab 18 and kill a Vampire lol.

A vampire?? Lol..i didn't know it had them..heh. Glad you got it all working good. I tried playing almost all day yesterday with the 1004 patch and 2.4 mod, and with or w/o it, i just can't seem to get myself to "like" this game.

I went through the camp, got the flash drive, went to the trader, then tried to trade all the pistols and my 1st stalker suit i got, keeping the better armour suit you get when you climb the ladder and jump to the next building in the camp. Then i headed down to plug the 3 guards like travis says, but i get instantly bombarded by sharpshooters that get headshots from 1/2 a mile away every shot, and i can't even hit a bear in the butt with a banjo!

I get blown away before i can get a nice rifle from one of the guards i kill, and i just don't like the freakin' game anymore. I treid to like it, i really did, cuz i found it different and quite interesting, but my guns always seem to miss their target, it took me hours to clear the camp near the tracks. I ended up hiding in the attic, waiting for the enimies to show up so i can headshot them better.

But even that was slow, and i still was getting killed too dam often. And I'm on "novice"!

I'm quitting this game, uninstalling it and maybe sometime in the future will try it again. but for now, I dunno, gotta think of something to play. :confused:

Then i headed down to plug the 3 guards like travis says, but i get instantly bombarded by sharpshooters that get headshots from 1/2 a mile away every shot, and i can't even hit a bear in the butt with a banjo!

Not sure what this is about...I've NEVER in the many many many many many times I've played this game ever had this happen. Maybe drop the difficulty down to rookie or whatever and play a bit. It's still pretty hard even on the easiest level, but it isn't nearly as frustrating as the higher difficulties.

Guess it says you are on novice already...maybe try playing without any mods etc. I've tried some of the mods but honestly, none make the game better than the original vanilla game by itself.

The game definitely is tough until you get some better weapons. My rule is to always hit F6 as many times as I can remember (Quicksave). I'm all the way back to Pripyat. I've only been this far twice before, and only finished the game once before, but it was a nightmare. Gonna do it a LOT different this time...like get a shitload of anti-radiation anomalies because once you get inside that damn sarcophagus, it's almost instant death from the radiation.

Also, there's a 1979 Soviet movie called Stalker, and it's based on an earlier Soviet author's story called Roadside Picnic. I've got Stalker coming from Netflix, but finding Roadside Picnic is nearly impossible...unless you want to spend $50-$400 for collector editions from Amazon, Half.com, etc.

Novice is the easiest setting for difficulty, isn't it? And i did originally try with no mods, but that's when i killed all the guys in the camp and made an enimy out of everyone. The guard at the tracks tells me to come over and we'll talk, then blows my freakin' head off....lol.

This time he talks to me and nobody attacks until i get to where i need to get the flash drive, i got it, but it took me 1/2 the day and many, many q-save/q-loads. There are supposed to be 3 guys that kill all seven of my enimies, but everybody was shooting at me.

I couldn't trade hardly anything, the trader wouldn't accept my old vest, or pistols i aquired to save for him for trading for bandages, like the guide says. It's just too different for my taste i guess.

I'm really not that good a gamer, I'll admit it. I still got killed a few times on normal difficulty after playing 1/2life for the 5th time during intense firefights. And i even knew what to expect. I'll try some different ones. Kinda sucks that single player games are getting shorter in favour of online gaming, which I don't like at all.

Novice is the easiest setting for difficulty, isn't it? And i did originally try with no mods, but that's when i killed all the guys in the camp and made an enimy out of everyone. The guard at the tracks tells me to come over and we'll talk, then blows my freakin' head off....lol.

ok...but...maybe play again and do NOT (I repeat DO NOT) kill anyone in the camp...lol

I couldn't trade hardly anything, the trader wouldn't accept my old vest, or pistols i aquired to save for him for trading for bandages, like the guide says. It's just too different for my taste i guess.

this must be a mod or something as I've never EVER NEVER had any of the main traders not accept ANY of my goods for trade. Most characters in the game won't trade anything with you, and will only have a few items to purchase, mostly bandages and medkits. The MAIN traders (like the first guy downstairs in the game, the barkeep, the guy in the big army barracks, the scientist at Lake Yantar, etc) will trade ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. I've never had one of the main traders refuse anything. The trick is that you have to find of these guys to trade with...you can't just trade with anyone.

STALKER is anything but short. It's a fantastic romp through 20+ hours (probably more if you do more than just the main storyline) of intense firefights, missions, hazards, etc.

Give it a whirl again but remove all of your previous prejudices from previous STALKER attempts. If you need specific hints or tips etc at specific areas, just ask us, we'll give you the info you need (or many different ways to try doing the same thing).

Whatever you do, DO NOT KILL FELLOW STALKERS. This will be bad for you. Some stalkers are evil and must be killed, but 99% of the fellow stalkers in the game are on your side, and will help you with enemies if they are around.

I did go back down to the 1st trader in the cellar, and he would only accept a couple things. It probably was a "mod" thing. I'll probably give it a shot again in the future, but right now i got kinda a bad taste in my mouth from it. I can't remember if i ever did finish fear, i think i tried twice, but either got the upgrade bug or got interupted for some reason, but i was looking at perseus mandate, might give that a shot.

I'm considering a couple others too. I just want something that will last longer than 10 hours and is a fairly basic fps.

I was perusing through some game previews at a site called gametrailers, and saw some really interesting previews. I'll make a decision on what to get soon. Thanks for the offer for help, Travis. I'm glad a lot of people are taking to Stalker, cuz it IS a good game...just kinda came at me sideways...lol.