S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

uneedav8

I'm using patch 1005 as well as a mod from fileplanet called Faiakes mod 1.9. It's pretty wild! I just now applied it after i got to my second objective, and they say it might work with your saved games and it might not, or not work properly, but you can read for yourself what it does. Also in the online game guide it shows you how to alter the start icon's "target" file so you don't have to go through all the intro and prefetch crap.

I might end up starting a new game, because their are so many variables in this game, it's hard to tell if it's working right. And there are things i might wish i have done differenty in the games start. The 1005 patch fixes a hell of a lot of things though from what you can read about it, hey?

The more i play this game, the more i like it! :D

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also finally picked up this game, and had a nice little marathon last night. I did notice it stuttering though, fraps reported around 25fps at the time. I looked at my CPU usage after I was done, and one core was constantly at 100% while the other averaged around 11%. I read that patch 1.004 was supposed to aid in this, but after my install I patched in the order of 1.001, 1.003, 1.005, not seeing a patch 1.004 untill afterward, which I would assume 1.005 would include.

Any opinions?

You just update straight to patch 1.005 I believe. No need for progressive patching. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember only having to install the latest patch from a fresh install.

true

only have to install the one patch on fresh install, or the latest patch from any patched version

also, as mentioned, if you are seeing very low frame rates, just simply turn off Dynamic Lighting and watch your fps jump to 100+

Either way, (turned off dynamic lighting) I still have the same issue - one core gets really clogged, and the game stutters.

Patch 1.004 was supposed to:

1. Calculating detailed objects was moved to the second CPU stream.

2. Engine optimization, which resulted in FPS 10-15% gain.

3. Shaders optimization.

None of which I've seen. I had the same problem with Supreme COmmander, but after a core optimization program it went away.

Guess I'll have to turn down some effects:confused:

It must be your vcard, the rest of your system likes fine, Jachyra. After ocing my card, I had to reset mine to default speeds, cuz the game didn't even like to run oc'ed. It even says so in the game guide. That the game doesn't respond well to oc's sometimes. Very quirky, but fun game. You really think i should start from scratch AG?

I killed everybody in the camp and took all their stuff, and went back to the trader with the flash drive, and now, everywhere i go, people just start shooting at me...lol. I think i made somebody mad? :nod:

jach: probably has to do with your AMD dual core cpu instead of the game (I've never had this issue on an Intel dual core with STALKER or any other game)

Jaz: depends on how far you are, but usually after first checking out a game, playing it for a number of hours, then installing a patch, I don't mind starting over because after a few hours of playing, you know a hell of a lot more about how to play than you did when you first started, so you can restart and not make some of the bonehead mistakes you might have made right off the bat ;)

(like me, first thing I do after the first mission or two is antagonize the soldiers to the right of the first camp...smack a few with pistols and take their AK-74's and use the AK's to murder a few more of the soldiers that come running, take their guns and ammo, and then go off to do the normal missions with an AK and 200+ rounds of ammo lol...comes in VERY handy when you go to the broken train bridge right at the beginning!)

and yeah, don't kill your fellow stalkers at the first camp...kill the soldiers off the to the right lol

@Jaz: yea, I've had glitches lately as well. Too bad OCing the card involved a driver level BIOS flash...makes it that much harder to take back. lol, I think I made someone mad as well- guns shootin' off everywhere!!

@AG: I antagonized the military soldiers at the beginning as well, except their groups kept getting bigger and bigger and taking out more and more of the stalkers at that first base camp. Do they stop after a while? or does it take a trip to another zone to reset them?

It took me a while to realize that the stalkers replenish as well. For a while I this was like a RPG where if one dies you loose that mission set. Looks like its closer to StarTrek/J.Bond flicks where there are countless, nameless henchmen waiting to fill the voids.

Once in a while the soldiers will start attacking the beginning stalker base, but only once in a while. I generally like to travel down towards the soldiers and then start capping them so they won't come to the stalker base and wipe everyone out.

Even if they do though, so what. The guy down in the cellar never dies ;)

Faiake made a new mod named v2.4. It looks basically the same as his 1.9 mod, but it's a huge download...269mb! His 1.9 mod is only 62.6mb. So now I'm going to uninstall the game and all saved games, re-name the "target icon" to -nointro, -noprefetch, apply the latest patch (1005) then install the 2.4 mod.

Apparently a lot of work went into this mod, seeing as how big the DL is, But it says it's basically the same thing as 1.9, with a few added features, like being able to name the amount of weight you can carry. I saw some screenies of the mod, and it really brightens up the game and just enhances what is already there, and making things like a bit more detailed or colorful.

Here is a link to faiakes mod v2.4.

And a rundown on what it does if anyone is interested.

========================================

Faiakes Mod v2.4

by Faiakes & natasha8384

#################################

---------- Description ----------

#################################

Finding S.T.A.L.K.E.R. too frustrating, slow, boring?

This mod will give you a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. experience.

####################################

---------- Major features ----------

####################################

- Now compatible with patch 1.0004

- Buy almost everything from traders

- Rifles fitting the handgun slot

- Dream and avoid night time

- Drag items and carry higher load

- Non-degrading Armour and Weapons

- Reliable (non-jamming) weapons

- Side-quests without a time limit

- Better skins for weapons & items

- More gruesome blood effects

- More weapons accept attachments

- More usefull interaction with NPCs

- Lots of Quests fixed and reenabled

- Reputation reenabled

- Torch that shines further and wider

- More realistic nights and weather

- Text on the map

- Better English text dialogues

- Accurate & Realistic weapon descriptions

################################

---------- Changelog ----------

################################

2.3 -> 2.4

List of files in 2.4:

- Made compatible with patch 1.0004 (natasha8384)

- Added Hectrol's stalker minimod 0.5

- Added parts of Realism Graphic Mod 2.0 by edomae

- Added Cameron Sneed's (jjwalker) Float32 Mod

- Added giv_em_hell's GhillieSuit, SVD and SVU skins from GhillieSuit_Svd_v1.2 and one of 3 G36 skins in this mod from Advanced World Weapons v.2.0

- Added vehicles' coordinates and vehicle supporting files from Vehicle Enhanced 1.0 for GSC v.1.0003 by tampoux

- Added new advanced scope lenses from Advanced Scopes by Domm2405 (aka Smirnoff CCCP) featured on some weapons

- Basix Spawn Mod combo of monsters and vehicles for 1.0004

- Weapons Expansion Mod (17 new base weapon models)

- Texture Switcher for Add-ons

- Environmental GFX Mod

- NPC Weapons Distribution (Rebalancing) Mod

- Weapons Inside Mod

- Skinflint Mod

- NPC-Fracture Fix

- Kruglov Flashdrive Fix

- Weight limit reduced to 200Kg

- Several weight limit options provided

- Minor changes

- New logo by Jamie Roberts

REMOVED:

- Sanex 4.2 A-Life Extended mod

- Dream Mod

- Stalkers Are Not Blind

- VideoCC Mod

- Other mods were adjusted/fixed to be compatible with 1.0004

- LSSNeitrino's & dezodor's Blowout/Psi-Zones and Emissions Mod v1.1b

##################################

---------- Installation ----------

##################################

1. Extract it anywhere you like (using 7zip, WinRAR or any 7z compatible program)

2. Place: (folder) 'gamedata' at: ...Program FilesTHQS.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

3. Do whatever you want with the other files.

======= NOTE =======

1. DO NOT EXPECT that your old saved games will work with this mod. Just to be safe, keep the old gamedata folder somewhere before you try the new one. If there are problems either delete the new one and continue to use the old one or start a new game.

2. The Stalker Faiakes mod is meant for Master level only. Otherwise it makes the game too easy.

3. Requires patch 1.0003 to work and enable all features.

4. Some mods (e.g. Vehicle mods) require some additional commands to be activated/used. Please read the respective ReadMe file of that mod, which is in the 'All Other ReadMe' folder.

5. If you can't get this (or any other mod) to work, you just need to modify the file fsgame.ltx, which is in the same folder where you placed the gamedata folder of this mod.

Simply, right-click on fsgame.ltx, choose 'open with', click the bottom option 'Choose Program...', select 'Notepad' from the list, check the option below to always open that type of file with Notepad and then click 'OK'.

Open the file and the second line will look like this (a bit more spread apart but ignore that):

$game_data$ = false| true| $fs_root$| gamedata

Replace the first 'false' with a 'true' and the whole thing should look like:

$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata

Save, close and you'll find that all your mods work fine now.

============================================

A long DL if you have dsl (about 2 1/2 hours for 269mb), but it must be worth it as they state a couple people have worked long and hard on this mod. Not for everybody, as it will make the game seem more of a shooter that a combination of fps and rts.