Advice on Affordable Gamers Rig!

Kranthos

Hey Guys, my main system just went down and I'm thinking its finally time to build a 64 bit system. The system will be primarily used for playing world of warcraft. I would like to stay around 1,000 if i could, any advice on putting something decent together? Thanks alot in advance for any and all help!

Of course there are so many options.

for my $1000 I'd get something like this:

E4300 Allendale $170 Can't beat that price for an easy 3 ghz overclock.

Asus P5B Deluxe $177 I like mine, very stable has plenty of add-ons and clocks well.

OCZ Plats $175 AR Plenty of choices for quality RAM, stay with OCZ.

EVGA 8800GTS $269 AR No brainer here, best card for your money right now.

FSP 600w $115 AR solid power supply.

Assuming you will keep your case and hard drive you can get this for $973.90 shipped from the Egg with $55 in rebates.

Depending on or if you overclock you may want to add an aftermarket cpu cooler, Intel stock coolers are a pain.

Plenty of system to play any games, especially WoW at very high frame rates.

Guest anewb ie

I'd go with a less expensive motherboard - probably a gigabyte ds3 (I currently have a p5b-e - but it has a few oddiities which make me reluctant to recommend it - i'm not using it for my gaming system). I'd at least price a different psu - perhaps a silverstone. I'd wait another week to purchase the system. (I have a silverstone 500w unit in my non-game system - it was $70). The game system has the epislon recommended above. (don't ask why i'm using a opty 165 for games and a c2d for work - just the way it worked out).

Kingfisher and anewb ie thank you for your help!

Ok, now that I have had a day to digest having to fork out some cash for a new system. And knowing that it has been 3 years since I built my last one. (rig in sig) I'm a little more flexible with the budget. Would a conroe make much differance over that Allendale? And what about a DFI board over the Asus or Gigabyte? Also, would you go with some form of Raid Array for a gaming system. I've never attempted that in the past but figuring maybe its time to incorporate that into a system as well. Thanks again for the help!

I have a Dell 24" 2407WFP monitor so that video card you mention sounds exciting!

Conroe really has no advantage over Allendale, in fact my E6400 felt quicker than my E6700 for some reason...and actually overclocks a bit better.

For DFI boards all you've got to choose really is the Infinity 975X/G which is a great board, but from what I understand the DS3 is pretty much just as good.

I really, really don't recommend getting an E4300 - they seem pretty hit or miss on overclocking and there are still some boards that don't properly support them. With a DS3 and an E6300 or E6400 you'll be better off in my opinion.

Don't forget to budget for a better heatsink btw...

650i

2x1gb 667 ram

Thats my opinion.

Thats a very budget system but should have no issues hitting 3ghz. All of those can be purchased for about $400 bucks. If you have the extra cash put it towards a better GPU in my opinion.

If you want to get an off the charts OC then i would spend a little more.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=T6UX2GC5

$123 2x1gb

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P5NESLI

$129 Asus 650i

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P5NESLI

$170 e4300

$5 coupon code "ewizbucks"

$417 total.

I just put together a DS3 v3.3, OCZplat rev2, 8800GTS 320, OCZ 700w GameXstream. Stable at 2.9, with a 3DMark06 @ 8600 points. I havent had much time to tweak it any more, but I should be able to get a little more out of it, methinks.

EDIT: I was leaving work in a hurry when I posted, forgot to say that it is an E4300. Havent had time to change the sig, but will add it first chance I get. After getting to game for the first time with this setup, the vid card is either going back, or going to be upgraded.

I just put together a DS3 v3.3, OCZplat rev2, 8800GTS 320, OCZ 700w GameXstream. Stable at 2.9, with a 3DMark06 @ 8600 points. I havent had much time to tweak it any more, but I should be able to get a little more out of it, methinks.

Then change that SIG!

:sweat:

What CPU? 4300?

Also, if you're mainly gonna be playing WoW, I don't really see the 8800 being necessary. Could save some cash there.

RAID 0 is nice, just keep in mind if one drive goes down, goodbye to all your data. With an MMORPG, you actually might notice some faster loading more often as opposed to loading the map for FPS.