Best card for ~$150?

twigert

With so many cards on the market right now, I'm kinda lost on what exactly I want. Should I go with a newer card with 512mb(x1600,7600gs,etc), or an older card like a 7800gtx/7900? The card could be ATi, or nvidia...I don't have much of a preference. A year ago I thought I should be getting a single card and another one later for SLi, but never got to it.

What about 2 7600gs 512mb's in sli? Would that be any good against the x1950pro? I'm thinking of going for the x1950xt, but that will leave a smaller budget on my laptop...but then again its about 50 bucks more for the xt. What nvidia card do you think will stack up against the xt?

Use this guide and be exact about the resolution you are using and browse through each games' result. The guide isn't perfect, but its quick and very good at direct comparison [i featured the 2 cards mentioned in this thread, they are highlighted in blue]. IDK if I wouldn't wait for plummeting VC prices to bottom out before I commited, not to mention the suspected launch of 8600 line which will likely eviscerate your price range. Its the classic PC question, buy or wait..

Keep an eye on the FS forums here and on hardforum(HUGE fs section), that is usually where the best deals lie. But if I had to buy retail today on that budget I would get the X1950PRO, and I'm not a big ATI fan.

What about 2 7600gs 512mb's in sli? Would that be any good against the x1950pro?

In a word; no. To generalize; SLI is a very inconsistent offering, it's use or misuse by a game engine varies drastically. You will more than likely get more consistently good performance across a variety of games by using 1 more powerful card than 2 lesser cards, especially in the example you stated.

Ugly

Thanks for the link. I've kinda decided to increase my limit to around $230:) .

The x1950xt does better in most cases of the games, but even 7900gt's in sli don't really do much better than 1 of the x1950xt's...I've guess I've made up my mind unless someone else has something to add in before I order one.

FOR SALE FORUMS

you can fins 7900GT's for about 160$ shipped.

you might need to head over to hardforums to check it out.

GS are good. but 20 pipes.

why not get a fast GT with 24 pipes?

even though its used. but heck.. lifetime warranty.

even though its used. but heck.. lifetime warranty.

Pretty sure once you sell your card the warranty is void... unless it is unregistered.... or the seller would have to do RMA for you, kinda weird...

so is seeing my typing appear as if its in slow motion... too much F.E.A.R. today i guess :)