The DIY Gentoo Linux Guide

likewhoa

I dual-boot, you can run prime in linux and other hardware stress testing applications, here are a few i use.

1. bonnie++ - Hard drive bottleneck testing benchmark suite. http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++
  2. acovea - Analysis of Compiler Options via Evolutionary Algorithm - http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/acovea
  3. cpuburn - http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm
  4. gimps - The Linux version of Prime95 for Windows.
  5. forkbomb - application to fork processes on the system and stress the hell out of it.
  6. Superpi - Linux binary of Superpi - ftp://pi.super-computing.org/Linux/super_pi.tar.gz

Hope this helps. Orthos,3dmark stuff won't work in linux.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might wanna add a few things regarding grub.

GRUB cannot boot DOS or Windows directly, so you must chain-load them (see Chain-loading). However, their boot loaders have some critical deficiencies, so it may not work to just chain-load them. To overcome the problems, GRUB provides you with two helper functions.

If you have installed DOS (or Windows) on a non-first hard disk, you have to use the disk swapping technique, because that OS cannot boot from any disks but the first one. The workaround used in GRUB is the command map (see map), like this:

grub> map (hd0) (hd1)

grub> map (hd1) (hd0)

This performs a virtual swap between your first and second hard drive.

Caution: This is effective only if DOS (or Windows) uses BIOS to access the swapped disks. If that OS uses a special driver for the disks, this probably won't work.

Another problem arises if you installed more than one set of DOS/Windows onto one disk, because they could be confused if there are more than one primary partitions for DOS/Windows. Certainly you should avoid doing this, but there is a solution if you do want to do so. Use the partition hiding/unhiding technique.

If GRUB hides a DOS (or Windows) partition (see hide), DOS (or Windows) will ignore the partition. If GRUB unhides a DOS (or Windows) partition (see unhide), DOS (or Windows) will detect the partition. Thus, if you have installed DOS (or Windows) on the first and the second partition of the first hard disk, and you want to boot the copy on the first partition, do the following:

grub> unhide (hd0,0)

grub> hide (hd0,1)

grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)

grub> chainloader +1

grub> makeactive

grub> boot

here's an example.

#

# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file

# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that

# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.

# root (hd0,0)

# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc1

# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img

#boot=/dev/hdc

default=1

timeout=8

splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

hiddenmenu

title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet

initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

title Microsoft Windows XP Pro 32 bit

root (hd1,0)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

unhide (hd0,0)

hide (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1 

title Microsoft Windows XP Pro 64 bit

root (hd1,1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

unhide (hd0,1)

hide (hd0,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

#Fenix-Dark r0x0rz =P

If you want a little more explanation than you should read the official installation guide.

If you want a little more explanation than you should read the official installation guide.

Actually this guide has all the detailed information you need for the install and a little more than the official guide provides, reason being is because it focuses on doing an install using the stage1 tarball which it's not supported by Gentoo, so details on that and more is included in the guide. Also I have provided links to Official Gentoo Guides on the bottom of the thread for others to seek.

Saboyon is a fork of Gentoo which uses it's own overlay and most are development packages. Saboyon linux is good but you can get the same effects yourself by downloading the various available overlays provided by Gentoo and layman.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey likewhoa,

In the video you provided using Beryl and Gentoo for a bit you take the launch icons from your panel and spin them around your whole desktop. Is this something from Gentoo or is it something from Beryl? I can't find it in the Beryl Settings Manager. I would rather have a small panel with just my launch icons on the top like you had with perhaps another panel on the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

I am downloading the ISO image right now and will soon be giving this all a try following your guide. However, I noticed that the one I'm downloading is titled 2006.1 while on Gentoo's site the most recent one for download is 2007.0. Should I go ahead and download the newer one or just go with the one you have linked in your guide?

I am downloading the ISO image right now and will soon be giving this all a try following your guide. However, I noticed that the one I'm downloading is titled 2006.1 while on Gentoo's site the most recent one for download is 2007.0. Should I go ahead and download the newer one or just go with the one you have linked in your guide?

use the one in the guide until i test it myself so that you're not compiling anything you don't need twice.

I plan on updating the guide to reflect the current profile 2007.0

• 3 weeks later...

GUIDE UPDATED to reflect the 2007.0 profile. I will also be add optional Linux Software RAID, Logical Volume Manager & EVMS to the guide soon.

P.S the 2007.0 profile is flawless..

.:03:25:. < likewhoa> Timing cached reads: 2904 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1452.94 MB/sec

.:03:25:. < likewhoa> Timing buffered disk reads: 432 MB in 3.01 seconds = 143.66 MB/sec

.:03:26:. < likewhoa> my new raid6 array :) 4x500GB

.:03:27:. <+perry753> omgwtf

.:03:28:. < likewhoa> even with dm-crypt gcc builds in 22mins

.:03:28:. < likewhoa> probably take a little less without that layer enc