The DIY Gentoo Linux Guide

likewhoa

likewhoa what do you personally think of Gentoo's future?

You seem to be very engage, not just a plain user like I, so maybe you've got some insight. It's pretty confusing for a person like I, because as it is now, flame wars pops up everywhere and I can't say that the ones who "defend" Gentoo behave constructively - there's probably better representatives.

Daniel Robbins - OK he's not involved anymore but he's still the founder - do comment from time to time in his blog as well issues about Gentoo, and what changes he would like to see. Daniel is at least calm and constructive in his approach.

I stop here, but I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Anyway I'll take some time soon to see how the patriarch of Gentoo, Slackware, has improved/changed with the so called 12th edition.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

likewhoa what do you personally think of Gentoo's future?

You seem to be very engage, not just a plain user like I, so maybe you've got some insight. It's pretty confusing for a person like I, because as it is now, flame wars pops up everywhere and I can't say that the ones who "defend" Gentoo behave constructively - there's probably better representatives.

Daniel Robbins - OK he's not involved anymore but he's still the founder - do comment from time to time in his blog as well issues about Gentoo, and what changes he would like to see. Daniel is at least calm and constructive in his approach.

I stop here, but I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Anyway I'll take some time soon to see how the patriarch of Gentoo, Slackware, has improved/changed with the so called 12th edition.

Gentoo is a great distribution with many talented developers but it's missing the relationship between developers themselfs and developers and the userbase. All the flaming you read towards Gentoo is mostly about their developers which some of them only look after themselfs and have no respect for regular users, even if they are noobs. The thing that needs to be worked on is User/Developer Relations and that's in the works as we speak. I believe in Gentoo and I'm friends with many developers atleast the ones that are not on a high horse or real pricks who probably got abused by their mommy and they like to put others down so they can feel better inside. Anyways, Gentoo's future is really bright; they attract alot of knowledgeable individuals and their concept of a package manager and from-source compilations makes them appealing to alot of users who want to have total control over how applications are compiled & configured. Daniel Robbins's Portage is the backbone of gentoo but portage was written in a way that makes it difficult to improve upon, so there are now a couple of alternatives, palidus & pkgcore are two. I got my money on pkgcore because it's developer is not only a smart focker but he is also a good individual who doesn't mind answering questions from regulars users like yourself and doesn't mind suggestions and or criticism. Anyways, I've used alot of distros before and i believe Gentoo has what a tweaker like me needs and wants. Hope that answers your question. :)

"People hate the distro they don't understand"

likewhoa

I've never doubted the value of Gentoo and it belongs to my list of essential distros. Hence your answer sounds good to my ears, especially that you gave the developer of pkgcore good credit, not because Gentoo will solely depend on this issue, nevertheless if pkgcore will gain momentum and get efficient it will improve how users feel about the distro.

Secondly I'm happy to see your determination, because that's mean you'll stay the course, and since you've proved to be a nice fellow around here I'm sure you'll be able to give the Gentoo organization positive input. I don't mind hear "x-distro is binary and not like...", because I appreciate the diversity in Linux. I'll admit though that I'm more of a Slacker, which isn't so far from Gentoo, and as a working horse, with no tweaks to speak about, I'm using Fedora 7 64bit.

About your quote (your own words): you need to get rid of certain individuals within the organization, because it's tolerable if outsiders hate because they lack understanding, but from the inside it has to be healthy. Maybe it will take some time.

Good luck, because I'll selfishly make use of any of your progress! ;)

• 2 months later...

Guide has been updated and it now offers RAID & LVM2 instructions. I am going to work next on an auto script that users can run which will setup Gentoo in a 1 2 3 step. stay tune for that one as it won't be happening anytime soon. Anyways, if anyone has a spare rig I can use for testing it would surely help speed things up for me. Specs i would need are:

Dual or Single Core Proc i686 preferred.

2GB RAM

2x SATA Drives

Nvidia Graphics

privmsg me if you can provide this test rig.

• 10 months later...