The DIY Gentoo Linux Guide

likewhoa

I decided to do a little experimenting last night and used your guide on my main rig with an amd64 no-multilib profile with the required changes in make.conf to keep the dependancies out of bootstrap and it went just fine. :) I wanted to use boinc because my main rig is the only one that is on 24/7 so I thought I would set up a 32 bit chroot along side a 64 bit environment.

Sounds like some breakage is coming doesn't it. I pulled the hard drive with my good install out to do this so I won't lose anything but a little time if all hell breaks loose..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm back now, sorry I missed out last night butother things came up. I'll be checking in on Flashchat every now and then as I gotta shower and whip up some lunch.

Screen says to not reboot, I assume that was from you. Network went down sometime after that so I hope it didn't interrupt anything running, doesn't look like it though.

Anyhoo, give me a holler when you're around and we can whip through this last bit, or you can tell me where I'm at and I can (try to) finish it myself. :)

I decided to do a little experimenting last night and used your guide on my main rig with an amd64 no-multilib profile with the required changes in make.conf to keep the dependancies out of bootstrap and it went just fine. :) I wanted to use boinc because my main rig is the only one that is on 24/7 so I thought I would set up a 32 bit chroot along side a 64 bit environment.

Sounds like some breakage is coming doesn't it. I pulled the hard drive with my good install out to do this so I won't lose anything but a little time if all hell breaks loose..

just watch out if you plan on going back from a no-multilib profile to the multilib profile, this will cause glibc breakage and you'll need a rescue glibc tarball to fix it.

I like the multilib profile because it works well and most packages work on it, except BOINC which needs a 32bit chroot or a manually compile in the 64bit environment.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished tweaking my DOCK on my desktop and wanted to show off some of the nVidia Desktop Effects driven by Beryl.

hope you like the video :) I'm working on a new one that will feature all the eyecandy and w0w how you do that features of these cool effects.

http://weboperative.com/gentoo/videos/capture-070225.avi

for those that want to have a fast,stable & cool desktop you need to follow my Gentoo Linux guide or just wait until I put together the Gentoo in 3 steps guide for you lazy fockers out there :P

enjoy the video.

I just finished tweaking my DOCK on my desktop and wanted to show off some of the nVidia Desktop Effects driven by Beryl.

hope you like the video :) I'm working on a new one that will feature all the eyecandy and w0w how you do that features of these cool effects.

http://weboperative.com/gentoo/videos/capture-070225.avi

for those that want to have a fast,stable & cool desktop you need to follow my Gentoo Linux guide or just wait until I put together the Gentoo in 3 steps guide for you lazy fockers out there :P

enjoy the video.

That is incredible. :eek2: This convinces me more that someday I must give Linux a thorough try. How long did it take you to customize your desktop like that?

I was almost there. I made a mistake somewhere and lost the desktop backround on 3 of my desktops and when I try to open program in any desktop but #1 it will replicate itself about 15 times.

I will be changing systems again on Monday so I will have to redo everything anyway..

Looks pretty sweet but I think I'd get tired of all the effects pretty quickly. Just let me open my program and I'm happy. Thats not to say I wouldn't use linux though...cause I do..at work anyway.

It's not all about the Desktop Effects, it also makes multi-tasking and keeping windows organize, plus the ability to snap,blur,hide,show,zoom and rotate 3d virtual desktops. I need to finish up my timeline so i can make the final video so you can see what i mean.

Thats insane !! :eek2: lol...awsome job there.....Is there effects avalible like this for windows ?

Vista supposed to feature some desktop effects but i don't think it's anything like you'll get with Linux, i could be wrong but i haven't seen anything that compares yea.