Occ "traders Of The Week"

Angry_Games

Ok, in an effort to help other members (since they've all helped DIY-Street become popular just by hanging out here), I thought I'd like to try a new thing

I'm gonna call it "Traders of the Week" (or month, haven't gotten that far in my thinking).

So here's a little pilot program to see if it works, and what kind of response it generates.

I'm going to pick one or more traders in the For Sale section here and there to showcase for one week by putting their threads up on sticky for everyone to see (so no bumping will be needed).

These traders are guys (or gals!) that meet one or more of the following criteria:

• a good forum member who we either know, or trust, or have traded with in the past
  • a trader that has been trading here for a while (like some guys have 50+ posts and 1,000+ views of their For Sale thread)
  • guys that have done their part to make the For Sale section very popular here

or possibly one or more of any other reason I can think of (maybe I just like you?)

So to start, I think I will pick two characters and give them a week's worth of sticky to showcase their trading wares and talents.

First is going to be t_ski...because he's disliked me from day one over at PCPER forums, but somehow he must like me a little to keep following me around the internet ;)

He's a good trader (I've traded personally with him a few times if I recall), a really good member, and he deserves to clear out the rest of his goods in that never-ending-but-very-popular For Sale thread he's had going since....1831 lol

Second guy for this week is going to be HITandRUN. I don't know him all that well, but I think he and I have traded before (keep in mind all the mindless buying and selling and trading I've done over the last few years and trying to remember all 27,000+ members of my forum that I might have traded with lol). His thread is 280+ post with 7,600+ views.

I also figure he's a good guy because I gave him an avatar (if you ain't familiar with DIY-Street, the only people that get avatars are those that I give them out to...check the forum rules for more info lol).

But more than that, if you check anyone that has traded with him, you'll get a thumbs-up. Plus he's got just a few things left looks like to get rid of (then he'll be sad and have to find new things to sell you).

ok, that's it for the moment. We are just trying new things, and maybe this will be cool, maybe you will all throw poo at me for trying something stupid.

This is now a community site, not a support site, so I'm gonna be trying a bunch of different ways to make community members feel more like they are the reason that the site is around ;)

Traders of the Week Award List:

• January 28th - February 3rd 2007: t_ski & HITandRUN
  • February 6th - February 13th: ooztuncer & thefabe

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech

I just noticed this... the sticky trader threads. I think it's a great idea! I don't sell much online, but I buy a fair amount, a lot of my client builds have no problem using higher quality but used components. This sight has always given me very nice deals on parts that have been mostly pampered and baby kept pristine. This idea is helpful for me.

Couple of thoughts:

Maybe consider previous winners exempt for a period of time, so others get a fair chance at being stickied. The criteria you are choosing them from may sort of single out high volume traders over other one-time part-out's by new members?

I remember a while back, I used to get a notice or popup of the latest additions/changes/features/special offers/deals to the website. I'm not sure if it was just because I had subscribed to a thread, or if it was a notice that was set by the site upon arrival, it's really a vague memory and I don't recall when I stopped getting them.

I'm just thinking that I sort of missed this sticky trader thing, and it would be a good idea to promote it, and any other new stuff you've done to the site, with a notice. I always accept emails from admins on message forums, and do read over notices that come via them on new features or changes. I say go for it, and get the news out that Street is back and ready to bitchslap anyone who says or thinks BackStreet and comes here making some sick PUN thread!

Bah, enough of my rambling, I need to find a good DDR1 dual channel kit for less than a hundred bucks. :sweat:

Maybe consider previous winners exempt for a period of time, so others get a fair chance at being stickied. The criteria you are choosing them from may sort of single out high volume traders over other one-time part-out's by new members?

yep, t_ski and HITandRUN won't be able to be traders of the week for a good while again, but they can always place a link to this thread and put it in their sigs (as well as their for-sale threads) so that anyone interested in trading with them when they are no longer "traders of the week" will know they were at least at one time "traders of the week" which means something pretty darn good lol.

Imagine if a guy like t_ski has say 6 traders of the week awards over the span of half a year or a year...that kind of reputation can't be bought (but with great power comes great responsibility t_skispiderman and HITandRUNerman lol)

I remember a while back, I used to get a notice or popup of the latest additions/changes/features/special offers/deals to the website. I'm not sure if it was just because I had subscribed to a thread, or if it was a notice that was set by the site upon arrival, it's really a vague memory and I don't recall when I stopped getting them.

I deleted all 67,000 active thread subscriptions when we changed over the forum. It sucked for some of you, but was great for the forum database and cleaned it out real good ;)

You can set your preferences to be notified of new thread replies and I think you can set sections to alert you to new threads. I'll ask Tmod to take a look if you can't figure out how to set them for yourself. (I don't use that feature and never have so I know zero about it lol)

I'm just thinking that I sort of missed this sticky trader thing, and it would be a good idea to promote it, and any other new stuff you've done to the site, with a notice. I always accept emails from admins on message forums, and do read over notices that come via them on new features or changes. I say go for it, and get the news out that Street is back and ready to bitchslap anyone who says or thinks BackStreet and comes here making some sick PUN thread!

we do plan on putting the news out (and emailing all 27,000+ current members to let them know) once we are officially open. Right now, we are simply waiting on getting all our bits done to open up the other half of DIY-Street, the actual content site that has guides, reviews, blah blah blah junk lol.

anyway, I'm glad that you guys dig this idea. I'm always trying to think one step ahead of everyone else (and every other site/forum) because we always want to be not only popular, but innovative and fresh. I don't want to be a review site like 99.999% of all the review sites that are out there right now. I don't want to be "just another tech forum". I want to RULE THE WORLD WAHAHAHA....er...did I just say that out loud? I mean I want to have things that other forums and websites don't have as that makes us unique, and unique sites attract unique (ie crazy/nutcases) users, which is better than attracting all the riff-raff and castoffs lol.

;)

...they can always place a link to this thread and put it in their sigs (as well as their for-sale threads) so that anyone interested in trading with them when they are no longer "traders of the week" will know they were at least at one time "traders of the week" which means something pretty darn good lol. ;)

Good idea (note new siggy :D ) Will the numbering system stay in tact (next week will be #3 and #4, etc), or will it be reset each week?

Good idea (note new siggy :D ) Will the numbering system stay in tact (next week will be #3 and #4, etc), or will it be reset each week?

no there will be #1 and #2 etc every week, and the number doesn't mean you are the #1 best trader, it just means you are the first one picked for that week ;)

the link you want to keep in your siggy is the link to this thread as I will keep a running tally from here on, and I think we'll get kccustom or someone to make a special 'plaque' or image that signifies you were trader of the week also

we'll figure it out...sometimes my brain jumps too far ahead which is why i let you guys know what im thinking so you can ask me questions my brain never thought of lol