Massive HD Wiping (15,000). Suggestions?

p0tter

I work for a company that recycles e-scrap. We are in the process of getting a contract for 15,000 DVR's w/ 80GB (still under warranty) IDE Drives.

The customer requests that the drives be wiped (formatted) before they are remarketed.

Anyone w/ experience or ideas for wiping multiple drives at once?

I am open to suggestions.

last time I did it I just hooked as many hard drives I could to rigs and used Dban... I had 4 rigs running with 4 ide slots so that was 8 drives each rig...but 15,000 drives will take you a while...

I guess you forsale will be full of goodies eh'?

I'd suggest what dr_bowtie said...get as many PCs setup as you can, put some IDE cards in them (should work) and hook up as many drives as you can and run dban.

OR...get a big magnet and just run it over each HDD :)

Check these out:

http://www.datadev.com/v94.html

http://www.degaussers.com/v91m.html

http://www.garner-products.com/deg-hdtd-8200.htm

.: Multiple Media Support: Supports P-ATA and S-ATA hard disk drives. Notebook drives and ATA compatible Flash devices are supported using ICS proprietary adapters.

The drives are to be sold, so no magnet.

@ Dr bowtie

Its for the company and I hate IDE :)

yeah but $2.5K to wipe 9 drives. I'd go with the 2 or 3 PC's as an option,

as you can test the drives after the format while still in a PC

But then again if its just a matter of wiping them quick then the wipe master thing would be the way as long as your not footing the bill.

The customer requests that the drives be wiped (formatted) before they are remarketed.

You can "fast format" in 10 secs but that is only clearing the MBR and not realy "wipeing" the drive of info.

Look on Newegg and for $19 you will find an adaptor that plugs into PATA/SATA and notebook drives with the other end a USB connector.

You should be able to crank out 1 drive every 60 secs or so as they will be setting on the workbench.

With a handful of these adaptors and 1 helper you might hit 120+ per hour and would be about 250 man hours...but you would really have to hustle and this does not take into account getting them in/out of the DVR.

Let us all know how this turns out.

Is it really worth the effort to wipe the drives?

How much are the re-man units going to sell for?

40GB for a DVR is really quite small these days.

A local hardware recycler took a contract like that. After wasting time on the first 100 boxes they simply shredded the rest.

Might be on to something Ex....

You wouldnt be able to turn them at a good price...

I always try to pick up used drives myself but for around $20-$30 and I dont think you could R&R them and make money doing it...

degauss it?

You would still have to disassemble the box to remove the drive to run a degauss on it. That's where the labor time eats any margin in resale.

Plus, how much can you get for a box with no OS on it?!?!

I see a shredder in its future.