A8r32-mvp Crossfire

I have been using the ASUS A8r52MVP deluxe for about six months now. Very stable board, make sure you update the bios. No problems with the ULI southbridge. You might want to consider the Thermalright HR-5 ( I think or is it the 3?) cooler on your 1900 card.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've put a new system together with a CFX 3200-dr and I can say it is the biggest crap i've ever had. After 4 weekes it didn't boot anymore just stuck in one of the many post errors and i know one guy how has the same problem like me. My question is should i take the Asus A8R-MVP or the Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe for a Opteron148 and for one X1950Pro? The A8R32-MVP is 30€ higher but right know i dont care about the price. But i want to OC alittle.

Other question is i own 2x 512MB OCZ EL Dual CH PL-Edition and 2x 512MB CorsAir CMX512. Can i use both with the ASUS or should i use just one brand and if which one?

get the A8R32-MVP. it's the newer more potent chipset compared to the A8R-D. i as well have had lots of problems with my CFX3200. 1st thing was that it didn't recognize my Maxtor SATA HD, which worked fine with my A8R32 which i had before it. the fix was the diamondmax 10 firmware, but the installer app wouldnt see the HD to update it so SOL...i RMA'd it.

the A8R32 OC'd just as good as this CFX3200 if not a touch better, i was stable at 2.8gHz on the A8R32, but cant get it stable there with the CFX3200 a the same voltage. (i will be upgrading my PSU to rule that out)

i basically replaced the A8R32 because the only divider that would work when OCing was the 133mHz one. every other div wouldnt boot, and my ram isnt good enough to run 300mHz 1:1.

The CFX3200 fixed that problem, and im able to use the different ranges of memory dividers but feel its not worth all the trouble with how finicky the MB is.

----

as for GPU cooler i love the VF900-Cu. it's really keeping my x1900xtx at very respectable temps under load (ill post those later) and i just leave it 100% fan and i cant hear it over my case fans which are just a whisper. the Thermalright HS will probably give you a few degrees better cooling, but i think it takes up more space than its worth. the VF900 has a very small foot print.

Keep us posted on your progress Kelticknight, I got my new 170 and it will hit 3ghz but one core temp is wildy high but so far stablity is ok. Keeping it at 2.6ghz for awhile to burn it in got a couple weeks or so till my taxes then I can get more stuff. http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=163897 Good luck with your setup and thanks for the confirmation on the SATA thing, that was the last thing I was worried about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now this makes me happy for you and also sad for me, my 3200 was ok for a month after its complete rebuild now its locking everyday at least once with the M18522 whatever error, very annoying when your a heavy HDD user. I never play any of my games on this, whats the point when it locks or resets.

Thats so sad - I will have to rebuild it on the SIL controller AGAIN, god knows how many times I've done that, its slower than the ULI much slower but it works-ish

If quad core AMD is great will jump ship to that or else its wait till 45nm Penryn time. I now know what tom hanks felt like in the money pit.........

A mobo without fatal faults at stock would have me jumping for joy.

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like the cooler on the X1950PRO is out of the way also. No more SATA worries.

14-102-071-03.JPG

well i have one of these cards and am planning to go xfire very soon and have been debating which board to go with , and after readind everyones thoughts on this im now settled with the ASUS A8R32 MVP .

a shop on ebay is selling them for £80 + £5 p+p , is there any where cheaper that anyone knows about , bear in mind i live in UK

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got one used off ebay, the guy said he tested it thoroughly but its got bent pins on the case switches and one fan header, looks beatup as hell, came dirty in a very small box and no antistatic bag. He agreed to accept it as a return as he failed to list all the cosmetic damages in the items description,I don't think the pic he used was even the real item sold. It also had some weird stain on the bottom below the battery mount (leaky battery at some point?) and was scratched real bad on the northbridge heatsink, plus some caps were real loose. He was selling it used but at a almost new price! I finally found a new one in a retail box, paid $188w/tax, shipped but at least its got the full manufacturers warranty and all accessories. Because of the higher cost had to ditch getting an x1950 pro and went with an x1900GT on newegg for $129, will do crossfire probably when the new DX10 cards start coming out, but atleast I got the motherboard and can play with it till I can afford better gpu's. Tried about 20 etailers who listed item in stock but they cancelled my order once they realized they didn't have anymore. I guess this was one popular 3200 board for s939, I wouldn't even try for the DFI version as too many people had so many problems with that board, and ASUS has been doing pretty regular bios updates so at least they seem to still be supporting it. Going to dual boot with XP pro and Vista Ultimate 32bit versions. Will try and post pics once its all together.

Heres the build list for it.

Kingwin SK-523 midtower Black/blue front cathode/side window

Asus A8R32 MVP w/0602 bios (in a few days)

Hiper 580w modular PSU Chrome model

Opteron 170 LCB9E 0652 RPMW (my 170 CCBBE 0615 died, so sad)

Modded/lapped Arctic Freezer 64 pro w/92mm Vantec tornado fan

Sapphire X1900GT 256mb

Samsung Dual +-DVD lightscribe burner Black

Onboard sound for now.

Cheap 40gb SATA 1 drive for now I had lying around

(Seagate Barracuda 320gb 16mb cache SATAII Perpendicular model later)

2x512mb Gskill value DDR400

(Switching to my DDR500 2x1gb Ballistix later from my other rig)

Later some water cooling kit, brand undecided; front USB media card reader; some 2x vidcards for crossfire hopefully internal like the x1950 pros.

Also I am replacing the tall NB heatsink for a low profile Vantec chipset cooler w/fan.

This is sorta my own personal dream machine, not the most highend but with my knowledge I can probably make it last as long as my old PIII system did. And thanks Keltcknight for the heads up on your progress and any others who contributed to this thread.